Question Overclocking MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

Star2222

Reputable
May 4, 2021
Hi,
I have a MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Motherboard ATX with a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz.

Up to what frequency can I push it SAFELY?

Also, can I still keep my M.2 SSD drives (obviously they would just run at whatever speed they can run) or do I need to upgrade them too?

If I keep them at their native speed, do I need to do so through some settings in the BIOS?

Thank you :)

Hi,
I have a MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Motherboard ATX with a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz.

Up to what frequency can I push it SAFELY?

Also, can I still keep my M.2 SSD drives (obviously they would just run at whatever speed they can run) or do I need to upgrade them too?

If I keep them at their native speed, do I need to do so through some settings in the BIOS?

Don't overclock, not in classical sense anyway. Much better to optimize it properly, First make sure your cooling is good (what it looks like now?) Ryzen is sensitive to temperature. It's impossible to predict due to variations in silicon and other factors. On average it should net about 4.1GHz all cores if you set it manually but then you lose single core boost up to 4.6GHz.Just cool it properly and keep voltages in check and it will do it's best.
Which M.2NVMe drives do you have?
CPU and MB support PCIe x4 v4.0 in first/top M.2 slot so any SSD with those specs will run at it's full rated speed. Second M.2 slot works at PCIe x4v3.0 so any NVME will run at those speeds even if rated v4.0.

Star2222

Reputable
May 4, 2021
Thank you @CountMike

I have 2 x WD_BLACK SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe M.2NVMe

The rest of the system is:
- Ryzen 9 3900 12-core @ 3800MHz
- 64Gb RAM - Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 (4 x 16GB) 3200MHz

Thank you @CountMike

I have 2 x WD_BLACK SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe M.2NVMe

The rest of the system is:
- Ryzen 9 3900 12-core @ 3800MHz
- 64Gb RAM - Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 (4 x 16GB) 3200MHz

All is fine as it is if it's all running at advertised but there are 3 different R9 3900 models, plain, no "X", 3900X and 3900XT, each with progressively higher frequencies. which exact one is yours ?
Non X can be safely set to frequencies of X model, and X to XT model by changing just multiplier although it will also need higher voltages which bring higher TDP and more heat so you need good cooler for that. Ryzen 3000 series requires to stay at 60-65c to give peak performance so you have to scale cooling with expectations. As long as your temps are within 60-65c anything is safe.

Hi Guy's
Ya Unfortunately Amd Old School OC days have past.
When I had my 3600x on a Asus mobo I set the board limits higher in the Amd overclocking in bios and had a Aio for cooling and it done very well.

I can add I just bought the very board you have for my son's rig and with overkill on rad space with a custom loop the 5900x is giving him 5.150 Ghz.

What I mean by overkill on rad is a 360mm and 480mm with the intension of adding gpu but Nobody is producing (or have plans to) for a Wblk for thr Rtx 4070 unfortunately.

Later guys