Overclocking q9650 on striker 2 extreme

mohammedvazeer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi there everyone

I'm new to this forum and new to overclocking.

ive got a striker 2 extreme paired with a q9650 and 2 x 4gb 1333mhz memory dimms.My cpu is liquid cooled with thermaltake bigwater 850i and the case has about 5 fans,so i think its quite cool.I am using a coolermaster cm690 case.

My system is 2 years old and never actually had time to play around with it.Although i did try a few times but failed.i ended up taking my bios battery out a few times and reloading windows 7 2 times.

Can someone please help me out.

Thanks
Will keep in contact.

mohammedvazeer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
i have read the reviews....actually i have tried overclocking before but i don't know what values to change and what not to change...
e.g. my muliplier goes from 6-9 only ...i haven't changed any voltages(cpu and memory) my memory is at 9-9-9-24.
I don't know if my memory is the problem as i've swapped it with my i7 pc. it doesn't have any heatsinks...not sure if i should purchase another overclocking kit?

Thanks a lot.looking forward to hearing from you.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
The mulitiplier is locked at 9, thou you can lower it. That q9650 should go to 4.0GHz with no problem on that M/BD.

I do think your memory will hold you back. I use OCZ PC3 16000 (2000) 2 X 2G memory linked and synced so when I change ny FSB it will change the memory as well @ 1:1 ratio. (actual is 1:2)

That guide I linked you to tells you how to OC with your M/BD! It is the same guide I used in 2008 to OC mine. Read it. Try it out and if you are still having problems I will try to help you.

I ask this of you because you would at least know what I would be talking about and hopefully why. Good for you and me. :sol: