Overclocking the CPU and Integrated Graphics?

HopelessNoob

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hey,

So I got the 3750k and this is the first time I have ever got my own parts for a custom computer (I used to use crap computers) and am planning on overclocking it but I have some questions that I need clarification for first.. I am a total noob to overclocking.

1) If I overclock the CPU would it shorten the life of the CPU even though I have adequate cooling? (I want to make sure because I'm in college and I paid for these parts out of my own pocket with my own money and want to get the best out of it)

2) If the answer to #1 is no then what should I set the CPU's max clock speed to if I want to keep it on the safe side?

3) If I overclock the CPU will it also overclock the integrated graphics? (HD 4000)

4) If the answer to #3 was a no then is there a way to overclock the integrated graphics? (I'm only asking this because I plan on waiting for black Friday to buy a graphics card and if that's a bad idea tell me!)

Thanks so much everyone

-Mark

Solution
1. Yes, but only if you add voltage (extremely high temps can shorten the lifespan too, but since you say you have adequate cooling, that won't really be a problem until you add voltage. Ivy CPU's run very hot when you add voltage to OC).

2. Even though the answer to 1 is yes, you can go as far as you can without adding voltage and still be fine (should be around 4.1-4.2, but could be more, if you have a good chip).

Note though, that an OC worth doing will almost definitely require extra voltage (unless you're lucky). If you're worried about the lifespan of the CPU, you shouldn't really even be thinking about overclocking anyway. If you're not comfortable with shortening the lifespan of the CPU, just leave it at stock.

3. No...
1. Yes, but only if you add voltage (extremely high temps can shorten the lifespan too, but since you say you have adequate cooling, that won't really be a problem until you add voltage. Ivy CPU's run very hot when you add voltage to OC).

2. Even though the answer to 1 is yes, you can go as far as you can without adding voltage and still be fine (should be around 4.1-4.2, but could be more, if you have a good chip).

Note though, that an OC worth doing will almost definitely require extra voltage (unless you're lucky). If you're worried about the lifespan of the CPU, you shouldn't really even be thinking about overclocking anyway. If you're not comfortable with shortening the lifespan of the CPU, just leave it at stock.

3. No.

4. Yes. And it's not necessarily a bad idea, but it'll add more heat to an already hot running CPU.

Solution

Yep.

I should say this though. When I say you're shortening the lifespan of the CPU by adding voltage, unless you give it way more voltage than your cooler can even handle, it'll still last for years. You're shortening it from nearly infinite to something like 5-10 years. Not a big deal, when you consider that you'll want to upgrade before then anyway.

If you're still hung up on it, Intel offers the Performance Tuning Protection Plan for only $20 dollars for the 3570K. It's a one time, no questions asked replacement, no matter what you do to the CPU. I have it myself for my 2500K. I don't think that I'll ever need it, but whatever, $20 for a new CPU, if I ever do need it is a small price to pay.

Possibly not 5 (if you don't do very much that requires a powerful CPU), but definitely 10. No chance any current hardware is good for 10 more years unless all you do is browse the internet (and maybe not even then). I'm upgrading in 3-4 years myself, and I'm just a casual gamer and don't really do much that requires a lot of CPU horsepower. Even so, any current CPU (or GPU, or whatever else) will be feeling its age by the 5 year mark. Overclocking can help, but only so much.

I'd say 3-4 years is a more realistic timetable for upgrading. People still get by with hardware older than 3-4 years old now, but "getting by" isn't much fun, lol.

Jul 22, 2018
I know this is a pretty old thread, but this isn't a widely covered topic so I thought I'd put my two cents in on this one.

As far as overclocking your CPU affecting your iGPU, it depends on what settings you change. If you adjust the CPU multipltier and leave it at that then no, adjusting your CPU frequency won't alter your iGPU frequency. However, if you overclock your CPU by adjusting your bclk then it can indeed adjust your iGPU frequency.