Overclocking: Tom's Sets World Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyMash

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Nice job of hitting 5+GHz! While it is usually customary to go into huge amounts of detail when reporting a LN2 'dyno run', there is very little information and a couple too many shots of beaming tech-heads and them eating at Macca's, and general uninformative detail in system photos. Given that this is a 'world record', it was quite unspectacular.

Give the camera to that balding dude next time!

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I hope this isn't a double post first off. They were all kids?? I should have been invited. I could have beat that score. I would love to become a hardware tester for companies.

LsRamAir

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Ummm, that isnt a Q6600 anymore once you deactivate half the cores. Its just a core 2 duo now, the real World Record needs to have cores 2 and 3 functioning... since they are less stable.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Well, since they were there and setup already it would have been nice if they tested a processor that was actually nice, like a 45nm dual-core part. Less complexity, an extreme edition that was bin sorted, and smaller fab might have resulted in a higher clock. Not that going from 2.4 to 5.1 on a quad isn't impressive in and of itself, it is, but since everyone was already dressed up you might as well do the full party.

Why do I need to click 20 images just to see what CPU, what motherboard, what frequency. And I still don't know anything about the RAM.

I'd rather buy a second PC with a Q6600, instead of making all that mess and spending all those dollars on cute cooling solutions. The GF would kill me if I filled the room with machinery just to have a CPU at 5GHz instead of 3GHz.

It's like that old story about NASA spending millions to develop a pen that writes in space, rather than just using a pencil.

Status
Not open for further replies.