Question Overheating i9 11900k with lian li galahad sl 360mm

Apr 30, 2023
Hello, First time posting here so please bare with me,

I'm having issue with Cooling, I have an i9 11900k which has an idle temp of 50° Celsius, any time I open a game it instantly spikes to 97-100° Celsius,with a max cou usage of 11%, which I believe I shouldn't be getting these temps with low cpu usage (right?) , ive tried changing the cooler
I've tried
Noctua u9s
H150i elite
Lian li galahad sl 360 (currently installed)

I've tried multiple programs to (stress) test
When trying cinibench temps maxed out at 55°
As it stands I feel at a loss with this pc, ill drop specs down below any advise is hugely appreciated

Oh one last thing, I have a temp gun, the exhaust fans/radiator showed max temp of 47°, In take was 38°, the weird part was the cpu only showed 50° (how reliable this is i'm not sure )

(ADDED NOTE)
I only play fivem and sea of theievs not on max settings, also it seems that playing these games i never go over 11%usage on cpu

(IMAGE LINKS)
View: https://i.imgur.com/Dk6xVKh.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/5yHhCUF.png

• CASE: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black Mid-Tower Dual Chamber Gaming Chassis
• CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-11900K - 8-Core 3.50GHz, 5.10GHz Turbo - 16MB Cache + UHD Graphics, Ultimate OC Compatible
• CS_FAN: 6x Corsair SP120 Elite Addressable RGB Fan Kit
• FAN: Lian Li galahad sl 360mm + 3x 3x unifan sl 120mm
• MEMORY: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB w/Heat Spreader
• MOTHERBOARD: MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk WIFI: ATX w/ Wi-Fi 6E, USB 3.2, 3x M.2
• POWERSUPPLY: Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply
• SSD: 480GB WD Green 2.5" SSD - 545MB/s Read / 465MB/s Write
• VIDEO: MSI GeForce® RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X Trio 8GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP - 4 MIN. Monitor Support

PassMark

Distinguished
Is this a machine you built?
Did you peal off any plastic cover on the CPU?
Did you use thermal paste on the heat sink?
Are all the fans plugged in and working?
Are all the fans installed in the right direction (not blowing air against each other).

Reactions: Why_Me
It's the adaptive boost (turbo) it will always try to reach 100 degrees on the CPU to give you the best performance possible, if you don't like that then go into your bios and turn it off.
Depending on your bios alternatively you can set a different max temp and leave the adaptive turbo on.

Intel® Adaptive Boost TechnologyOpportunistically increases all-core turbo frequency when current, power, and thermal headroom exists. Works below a temperature limit of 100°C.

Reactions: punkncat
Apr 30, 2023
Is this a machine you built?
Did you peal off any plastic cover on the CPU?
Did you use thermal paste on the heat sink?
Are all the fans plugged in and working?
Are all the fans installed in the right direction (not blowing air against each other).
I bought it from cyberpower
All plastics have been pealed
I put Arctic thermal paste
All 9 fans work
I have 6 intake 3 exhaust on the top of the case

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When that temperature spikes, does it drop back down within a short time? Or, does it stay 'way up there? There are some CPU chips that do this TEMPORARY spike in temp readings when workload changes and that is normal. However, if it does not drop back fairly quickly, there is an issue with your AIO system. Post back here which way yours runs.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Adaptive Boost should come off as default, but would check it in BIOS to be sure. There is also a power limit that can be enabled (that is crazy high). Check and make sure it isn't on the 240W (something like that) setting.

This sounds like an incorrect AIO install, or possibly a bad temp sensor or something on the mobo level. I use a 240 AIO on mine and it sits at ~30C on idle or light use and rarely gets to 60C even on a synthetic benchmark. You have something going on.

Apr 30, 2023
So to update everyone, I turned off boost and now its running at max temp of 47°, running gta or sea of theievs no longer sends the temp to max all the time

Apr 30, 2023
It's the adaptive boost (turbo) it will always try to reach 100 degrees on the CPU to give you the best performance possible, if you don't like that then go into your bios and turn it off.
Depending on your bios alternatively you can set a different max temp and leave the adaptive turbo on.

Intel® Adaptive Boost TechnologyOpportunistically increases all-core turbo frequency when current, power, and thermal headroom exists. Works below a temperature limit of 100°C.
Thank you, I turned this off and temps dropped to 47 now, hopefully it stays there

Again thank you

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thank you, I turned this off and temps dropped to 47 now, hopefully it stays there

Again thank you

Glad you got it figured out.

When I first got my 11900K I figured that good cooling would help with that aspect and went from an air cooler I was using on my 11600K (which I knew was insufficient) to the AIO which was in another build at the time. I was quite surprised to find that in spite of power and heat generation going WAY up to worrisome levels, performance really didn't follow. In some games it actually hurt performance.

I didn't want to have to bring in liquid nitrogen to leave that feature on. I did turn it on this past winter and it worked well enough when cold outside and low ambient in the office, but once Spring hit I had to turn it back off.