Win XP
Althon 2000XP
MSI Ultra KT3 Mobo
Jetway Geoforce 4400 Ti
256mb RAM
40gb and 20gb disk drives
Liteon DVD RW
LG DVD ROM

I have had the above machine for a year or so and had no problems with it. My power pack blew about two weeks ago and I have since replaced it.

The machine worked fine until a week ago. I moved my PC to a new location in the room and experienced this problem. I was playing C&C Generals Zero Hour (which has always run okay but with the odd bit of slow down when things get busy) when the game crashed back to the OS stating a major error had occured.

I thought it was because the machine was overheating as it was in a slightly more confined space. I moved so that it had the same space as before but the problem still existed. I tried playing Medal of Honour which will run for about 20 minutes and then also crash. So far Call of Duty appears to run okay.

I have also tried to run C&C with the cover off the case but it still crashes out.

The PC runs normally in all other applications and I can't say it feels any hotter.

The problem seems to happen when the graphics card is under an extreme load.

Is this an overheating problem, and if so why is it happening now? Or is it just the case that the grahics card is on the way out?

I have checked the fan on the card and it is still working.

Any ideas???

cleeve

Illustrious
Try running with the cover off the case AND a housefan blowing into the case.

If things stop crashing, it's poor case ventilation. If not, come back and ask again. :)

spangelsaregreat

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Hi,

Tried the PC with the cover off and the fan running but MOH now just crashes out when you go to start a level (it workd fine in the menus) leaving the Win XP screen with slightly washed out colours.

Call of Duty still seems to play alright with the cover off, but it is a lot smoother and faster than either MOH or C&C Generals Zero Hour were.

The card is certainly very hot when it crashes. I wonder why it worked fine before but it suddenly has an overheating problem. Is the 3D chip maybe knackered?

Thanks for the the advice in advance.

p.s what recommendations would anybody have for a new card if this one is knackered? Radeon or Geoforce? What is a good card for $180 - $200?

Regards