[SOLVED] P-state voltage not lining up with GPU clock speed

goldenratio

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
I have a RX570 and in MSI after burner and Adreneline 2020 i have a custom undervolt set up to compensate for my cards poor thermals
However when my PC is idle i have just noticed that in the idle P-state at 300MHz my voltage is showing as .900V whenit should be set to .750 as outlined in my undervolt here

View: https://imgur.com/a/m1AJ5Df

Is there anyway i can remedy this. I have tried both Adrenelin and Afterburner but i cannot seem to get the idle Voltage and P-state running at the correct voltage making my card hotter than it needs to be idle

Solution
Is it just the 300MHz P State? Even if it's not working properly, there's little thermal effect going on at that state.

Your VRAM gets the same voltage as the core is getting. However, VRAM is either idle or 100% clockspeed. Therefore, the "VRAM Voltage" setting in WattMan sets the lower limit to how low the vcore can go (aside from idle). 900mV is fairly low for a VRAM voltage limit setting (I enter between 910-930mV), but it looks like that's the setting you're hitting here.
Is it just the 300MHz P State? Even if it's not working properly, there's little thermal effect going on at that state.

Your VRAM gets the same voltage as the core is getting. However, VRAM is either idle or 100% clockspeed. Therefore, the "VRAM Voltage" setting in WattMan sets the lower limit to how low the vcore can go (aside from idle). 900mV is fairly low for a VRAM voltage limit setting (I enter between 910-930mV), but it looks like that's the setting you're hitting here.

Solution
Yeah, the core voltage for the third state is probably set higher than 900mV.

As an FYI, I'm running 19.9.2 driver version and it's stable for me.

I like WattMan better than afterburner. Any chance you've actually uninstalled Afterburner to test WattMan?

goldenratio

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
I had very good results from reapplying thermal paste to my card. Went from 85C @ 2400rpm fans to 73C @ 1200rpm fans using the same WattMan profile.
Imm too paranoid to take apart my GPU. Its an Asrock RX 570 Phantom Gaming D 8G OC and the fins and heatsink poke out the back of the card so im gunna buy some air and clean her out and she if the temps drop some. I dont wanna screw up my GPU taking the heat sink off seeing how delicate the actual chip is