jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Hi all.

I purchased this motherboard a while back and have been very happy with it.

I have recently got a nice new surrond sound system and would like to link it all up to my pc.

In order to do this properly i need to connect via the S/PDIF port. Now the port is there but nothing happens when i use it. Assume there is nothing on the other side.

The manuel states "support for S/PDIF"

What does this mean?????

How do i get my support for it, what do i need to purchase aquire??

Have been searching the web but come up with nothing.

Cheers for any help

Sorry, no idea. I have the same motherboard and Z-5500 5.1 speakers, but I use an X-Fi XtremeMusic rather than the onboard audio. You could try that, I guess, if you have $100 and a free PCI slot, and it should sound better too.

Edit: maybe it's a software thing. For example in my case nothing worked until I figured out how to tell the sound card I have 6 speakers (it was an option in a program called SoundBlaster Audio Console that came with the X-Fi). See if you've got something equivalent on the CD that came with the motherboard.

snipster4

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I have that MOB. It has an Optical Out and S/PDIF out (the orange plug beside the optical).

You also have to setup Realtek Audio to either Output To Digital or Input. If you Double Click your Realtek Audio in your taskbar you can configure it in there. Make sure you have the latest Audio Drivers downloaded from Gigabytes web site.

snipster4