jeff

Just curious..On my MCE2005 P4c800e system all the ports that i connect a
sandisk flash drive to say it can be operated faster if I connect it to a
faster port.

Everything is is device manager where it should be.

I even did a test transfer from the flash drive to the desktop on my asus
system and on another system the transfer speeds were identical.

Should I be concerned or ignore the pop up bubble?

is there a fix?

TIA,

JEff

Paul

Splendid

In article <g7mdnU01v841FyvcRVn-tA@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

> Just curious..On my MCE2005 P4c800e system all the ports that i connect a
> sandisk flash drive to say it can be operated faster if I connect it to a
> faster port.
>
> Everything is is device manager where it should be.
>
> I even did a test transfer from the flash drive to the desktop on my asus
> system and on another system the transfer speeds were identical.
>
> Should I be concerned or ignore the pop up bubble?
>
> is there a fix?
>
> TIA,
>
> JEff

This page says to check for an "Enhanced" USB entry in
the Device Manager. That means a USB2 driver is loaded
and the hardware supports USB2.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

You may want to visit the Sandisk web site and verify
the hardware information for the product. Some
deceitful manufacturers say their product is "USB2
compatible", when in fact the product runs at USB1.1
rates. The "Compatible" means it can use the same port,
but may not see any speed improvement. This is probably
not your problem, but just a warning that USB advertising
is sneaky that way. Some flash drives, for example, are
hardly able to reach 1MB/sec transfer rates, in which
case it doesn't matter whether they are connected via
USB1.1 or USB2. USB1.1 can handle up to 1.5MB/sec, which
is the same thing as 12Mbits/sec.

HTH,
Paul

jeff

Paul,

ASUS claimes USB 2, so if "enhanced" isn't there in device manager, what
does that mean, that all ASUS's US ports are 1.1?

Jeff

Paul

Splendid

In article <_rWdnXp65_ZEcSvcRVn-hg@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> ASUS claimes USB 2, so if "enhanced" isn't there in device manager, what
> does that mean, that all ASUS's US ports are 1.1?
>
> Jeff

Have you checked the BIOS ? USB2 should be "enabled", and the
speed control set to "hispeed" (480Mbits/sec).

I cannot imagine MCE2005 not supporting USB2, so that can't
be the problem.

You should see something like this. Or, at least one of the
entries should have "enhanced" like this...

Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel (R) 82801 USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD <---
"USB Root Hub" (Repeated five times)

If not, try the procedure listed here. Basically, the
procedure consists of deleting all the USB related
entries from Device Manager, after the computer has
been booted in Safe Mode. (What I don't know about
this process, is whether you've got to use a PS/2
keyboard and mouse.)

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

Good luck,
Paul

jeff

> In article <_rWdnXp65_ZEcSvcRVn-hg@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Paul,
> >
> > ASUS claimes USB 2, so if "enhanced" isn't there in device manager, what
> > does that mean, that all ASUS's US ports are 1.1?
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Have you checked the BIOS ? USB2 should be "enabled", and the
> speed control set to "hispeed" (480Mbits/sec).
>
> I cannot imagine MCE2005 not supporting USB2, so that can't
> be the problem.
>
> You should see something like this. Or, at least one of the
> entries should have "enhanced" like this...
>
> Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
> Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
> Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
> Intel (R) 82801 USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD <---
> "USB Root Hub" (Repeated five times)
>
> If not, try the procedure listed here. Basically, the
> procedure consists of deleting all the USB related
> entries from Device Manager, after the computer has
> been booted in Safe Mode. (What I don't know about
> this process, is whether you've got to use a PS/2
> keyboard and mouse.)
>
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm
>
> Good luck,
> Paul

Paul,

All is enables as it should be in the bios, all entries in device manager
deleted and found again. "Enhanced" entry is there too.

Still, bubble pops up saying you could do better....

Transfer speeds of this sandisk are the same though on the asus (even with
the low speed warning) as they are on another MB with usb 2.0.

So can this just be an erroneous message?

TIA,

Jeff

jeff

Paul,

A little update.

I took a 1GB flah drive and tried it in the asus USB2 port, NO problem, no
warning of speed, however, an option is not given to open it up in windows
explorer or media player, whereas if i take the 512MB flash drive back i get
the low speed warning but the option where to open the files to.

Why does the 512 give the option where to open its contents to but not the 1
GB flah drive.

Thanks for your expertise,

jeff

jeff

Paul,

I solved the problem...It won't give you an option as to where to open the
files unless there's already several files on the drive.

jeff

TRENDING THREADS