Xth

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I'm upgrading my old system to a C2D system with a P5B (vanilla) mobo. I've read that there are some problems with IDE drives on it and as I only have an IDE drive I was wondering if it is possible to run the system on just that drive, without a SATA drive?

Thanks for any help in advance.

It should work fine with an IDE HDD. Keep in mind though that there is only one channel available and therefore you will have to connect a second device, such as an optical drive, as a slave on the same channel. Not an optimal situation, but you should be aware of this. Maybe it's time to spring for a new SATA drive? There is no price difference between SATA and IDE hard drives of the same family:

WD Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $53.99

WD Caviar SE WD1200JB 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive $53.99

Hard drives are cheap these days, and getting cheaper!

Xth

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Yes of course. The SATA connections are only there for those with more advanced (and expensive) drives :?

Yeah I got that, but I read that you had to install jMicron drives for windows to recognize the IDE drive and I thought that would cause some problems but I guess not...

Thanks for the input guys.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
You might have to install JMicron device drivers during Windows installation, but you should be able to hit the interrupt key to install drivers for it. No big deal, just a pain in the butt.

Best of Luck