[SOLVED] Packet loss with LAN card ?

subhadeep_sd

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2015
Hello all,
I recently purchased Lenovo Legion 5 Pro laptop and while gaming I am facing packet loss on CSGO, Valorant, Rocket League and PUBG. To clarify, it's not from ISP , I tried the games on my old gaming laptop and the packet loss doesn't occur at all. So I guess it's the LAN card causing the issue here, though both the machines have the same Realtek PCIe GB family controller ( not sure of the IC though, if they are different).

Can anybody help with this.

P.S - Old laptop has driver version 10.39.212.2020 . I tried all the drivers from lenovo's page as well as Realtek's page. (Don't see the 10.39.212.2020 driver online expect for softpedia which doesn't gets downloaded).

Solution
Packet loss to a game is way to complex to just blame on the ethernet port or drivers. It is highly unlikely so you need to do better testing.

A very simple test is to use the ping command to ping your router. Let a continuous ping run and see if you see any loss. You should see constant very low ms 3ms or less, with no loss.

What you can also do is let the ping command run in the background windows while you play your game. When you see packet loss in the game switch over and check your ping windows. If you see loss then you can start to consider the ethernet.

Make sure you do not have any form of software that attempt to give games networks priority. This has many names. It is not very common to see on laptops...
Packet loss to a game is way to complex to just blame on the ethernet port or drivers. It is highly unlikely so you need to do better testing.

A very simple test is to use the ping command to ping your router. Let a continuous ping run and see if you see any loss. You should see constant very low ms 3ms or less, with no loss.

What you can also do is let the ping command run in the background windows while you play your game. When you see packet loss in the game switch over and check your ping windows. If you see loss then you can start to consider the ethernet.

Make sure you do not have any form of software that attempt to give games networks priority. This has many names. It is not very common to see on laptops but it would not surprise me if there is a asus laptop that has it, asus is one of the worse offenders for bundling these garbage "gamer first" software.

Solution

subhadeep_sd

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2015

Make sure you do not have any form of software that attempt to give games networks priority. This has many names. It is not very common to see on laptops but it would not surprise me if there is a asus laptop that has it, asus is one of the worse offenders for bundling these garbage "gamer first" software.
You are a life saver.

That network priority thing was the main culprit. The Legion 5 Pro came with a Network boost feature which was turned on by default. I didn't pay much attention to that as I thought it might be something like QoS that routers have to give priority.

I didn't find a single packet loss in the whole match after turning it off.

That type of software causes so much issues and it can not even fix the more common networks issues.

The software can do nothing about traffic from other machines. All it can do is give priority to different programs on your machine itself. This is almost crazy to even think about. Why would you run other software at the same time you are trying to get good game performance. I mean you could run bit torrent or download other large games but you would think it would be smarter to not run extra stuff in the first place rather than think there is some magic software