[SOLVED] Partially recognized SATA SSD

Oct 5, 2021
Hello, I have recently got a new case which came in with a 240gb gigabyte sata ssd that had windows in it. Booted fine for a few times, suddenly stopped being recognized as a bootable drive in BIOS. The thing is it is sometimes recognized and boots fine but %80 of the time it doesn't. I have CSM enabled on my board and the SSD is not partitioned as GPT as I saw in DISPKART. When I try to reinstall windows on it it shows up as unallocated space but I cannot for the life of me allocate/partition it for some reason. DISKPART gives me an I/O error when I use CREATE PRIMARY PARTITION. Is it the disk that is faulty? Or is it a wrongly partitioned disk or something I'm completely missing?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I have recently got a new case which came in with a 240gb gigabyte sata ssd that had windows in it.
Full wipe and reinstall.
This needs to be done with ANY drive that is 'new to you' and has a Windows OS already on it.

You say a new case and SSD with WIndows on it...
Presumably this is a different motherboard that that OS was installed with.
Windows is not modular like that.

New motherboard == new OS install.

Oct 5, 2021
I understand that, however I cannot do it since the disk cannot be allocated by the windows installer. Does it need to be partitioned as GPT? Would something like gparted live work(I have used it before)?

USAFRet

Titan
I understand that, however I cannot do it since the disk cannot be allocated by the windows installer. Does it need to be partitioned as GPT? Would something like gparted live work(I have used it before)?
It should need NOTHING to be seen by the windows install routine.
Assuming it is actually connected and functional.

What are the full specs of this system?
All parts, make/model.

Oct 5, 2021
It should need NOTHING to be seen by the windows install routine.
Assuming it is actually connected and functional.

What are the full specs of this system?
All parts, make/model.
The board is asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi
Asus rtx 3080 ti
Gigabyte aorus 2tb nvme ssd
Seagate 2tb 7200rpm hdd
Asus rog strix 850w gold psu
Ryzen 9 5900x

USAFRet

Titan
Forgot to mention the 240gb sata gigabyte in there, that's where I'm trying to install windows.

Also gparted doesn't even see the sata drive.
Remove the NVMe drive as well.
Switch motherboard ports. for the 240GB.
As a trial, try to install to one of the other dries, just to verify functionality of the motherboard.

How did you create the USB to install from?

Oct 5, 2021
As a trial, try to install to one of the other dries, just to verify functionality of the motherboard.

Other drives are functional, can be handled by both windows installer and gparted. Can install on either of them. Sata drive alone without any drives and on a different port is still problematic. I think the drive is gone.