Question PC always stuck on bios for a very long time before booting up ?

xie97

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Hi.
My PC is stuck on bios splash screen just spinning for at least half an hour every boot. It just spins and spins. I've had it like this since i built it. I've reinstalled windows several times during this time.
I've tried unplugging all USB devices and all hard drives but my M.2(960 evo) where i have windows(10). I've tried enable and disable "MSI Fast Boot". I've tried changing the boot order.
Also resetted bios several times. Changed things up a bit nothing seems to work. I'm thinking something's either broken or i've messed up bad on something when i built it.

System info: X299 mobo(not sure exact model but i can find out), I7-7820x, RTX 3080, 4 sticks DDR4.

It takes at LEAST half an hour. I just did a workout for 45 minutes it was done just about the exact same time as me. No idea what else to try. On occasion it boots really fast into windows (as it should be i think with an m.2) almost skipping the splash screen entirely but it's very very rare.
I'd appreciate any help thanks.

xie97

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Please provide the complete specs (make/model of all installed components) for your rig. Details matter.

Is your motherboard BIOS the most recent version available for it? Also, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

I provide updated system information:

Power supply: be Quiet! Dark Power 12 720W
Motherboard: MK MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7A95)
CPU: Intel I7-7820x
GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080
M.2 drive: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB

Let me know if i missed anything important.

I have been unable to determine the memory model but i have 32GB DDR4. 4 Sticks slots A0, B0, C0, D0.
Gone through about two more power supplies since i've built the PC. Previous one was a 1000W be Quiet! and i still had the same issue back then.

Bios version 1.90 (2018-07-31) according to "system information". However i was unable to find a bios version on the manufacturers page for that date.
Nothing between 2018-03-25 and 2018-08-09.
Not the latest either way. I am somewhat terrified of updating bios.

Not overclocking anything. Also XMP is off if that counts.
The GPU is factory overclocked if i'm not mistaken.
Thanks.

xie97

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
You really should update your BIOS. It may very well solve this issue.

Go here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC/support#down-bios

Install this version: 7A95v1G

Updating your BIOS is easy.

I will update bios and report back.
Would you not suggest the Beta version (7A95v1H1 ) since i have a 3000 series card?
"Support Re-size BAR function to enhance GPU performance including the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3000 series and others."
Not that i know what that means.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I will update bios and report back.
Would you not suggest the Beta version (7A95v1H1 ) since i have a 3000 series card?
"Support Re-size BAR function to enhance GPU performance including the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3000 series and others."
Not that i know what that means.
I generally don't recommend beta versions. Try the one suggested earlier first.

xie97

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
I generally don't recommend beta versions. Try the one suggested earlier first.
Forgot to mention that is basically impossible for me to access bios.
My keyboard won't even boot during this time, everything boots at once after about 30 minutes. I've tried a different keyboard, tried plugging it in after i boot. Tried USB 3.0 in the back and 2.0 in the front.
I can tell when it's about to start when i hear the hard drives spinning up. But when it all starts it's already too late to press DEL for bios even if i spam it the entire time it won't enter bios. I have to be luck and get one of the quick starts. So even getting to update bios is going to take me days. This is just ridiculous.

xie97

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Forgot to mention that is basically impossible for me to access bios.
My keyboard won't even boot during this time, everything boots at once after about 30 minutes. I've tried a different keyboard, tried plugging it in after i boot. Tried USB 3.0 in the back and 2.0 in the front.
I can tell when it's about to start when i hear the hard drives spinning up. But when it all starts it's already too late to press DEL for bios even if i spam it the entire time it won't enter bios. I have to be luck and get one of the quick starts. So even getting to update bios is going to take me days. This is just ridiculous.
I managed to enter bios through recovery setting in windows. Updated bios but can confirm it did not fix the issue.
I'm running out of ideas. I was thinking maybe i remove all my ram and try them one by one?

xie97

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
You already dealt with the obvious cause (BIOS). Testing memory is good.

You can use an app like CPU-Z (use the SDP tab) to get your memory model. Are all 4 modules identical?
They are identical.
4x "Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4B3000C15" Sticks.

What's the best way to test them you think? Remove them one by one, placing them in the first slot to the left or can i just leave them in their current slot while i unplug the rest?

xie97

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Yep, that method will work. I like memtest for this.

Thanks, i've now tried it. I've removed all the sticks and tried them one by one in the first slot and i've got zero errors.
I think it's safe to exclude RAM as the issue. Now i'm all out of ideas though. Any thoughts what i can try?