[SOLVED] PC BIOS won't post after using incompatible CPU with motherboard for about a week.

Feb 14, 2022
Hey! I got a CPU for christmas, and I updated my BIOS and put the new CPU in correctly, and it worked great for about a week, then the PC didn't post or anything. I did research before, and people were saying my new CPU would work as long as I updated my BIOS to it's latest version, and I did before I installed the new CPU. Usually my keyboard and mouse's RGB turn on, but they didn't. The CPU and case fans lit up and worked, but nothing else worked. I tried nearly everything there is to try. I tried taking out CMOS battey and testing it, put it back in. tried different ram, tried different ram combinations (tried each stick sperately), booting with no RAM(to see if anything popped up), replacing the cpu with my old cpu, booting without a CPU installed(to see if anything popped up), removing the gpu and putting it back in, unplugging every cable for the motherboard and plugging them back in to their original places, I have tried near everything, but nothing appears on the screen. I don't have the thing in my pc that beeps when something is wrong, so that doesn't help.

Here are the specs:
Motherboard: Asus a320m-k
New CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Old CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: GT 1030
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8g 3600mhz (I was running at 3200mhz overclocked)
Power Supply: 450W

Is my motherboard shot? Do I need a new one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Since all worked well for a week, your specs and bios level were likely ok.
My guess is that the apevia psu might be the cause.
That brand is not highly regarded.
Perhaps it could not properly handle the added power draw of the 5600x.

See if you can't test with a known good replacement.
I would consider buying a quality replacement regardless.
Your cpu can drive a very fast graphics card which would need much more power.
Look for a 650w psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic focus and corsair rm are good places to start.
Feb 14, 2022
Hey! I got a CPU for christmas, and I updated my BIOS and put the new CPU in correctly, and it worked great for about a week, then the PC didn't post or anything. I did research before, and people were saying my new CPU would work as long as I updated my BIOS to it's latest version, and I did before I installed the new CPU. Usually my keyboard and mouse's RGB turn on, but they didn't. The CPU and case fans lit up and worked, but nothing else worked. I tried nearly everything there is to try. I tried taking out CMOS battey and testing it, put it back in. tried different ram, tried different ram combinations (tried each stick sperately), booting with no RAM(to see if anything popped up), replacing the cpu with my old cpu, booting without a CPU installed(to see if anything popped up), removing the gpu and putting it back in, unplugging every cable for the motherboard and plugging them back in to their original places, I have tried near everything, but nothing appears on the screen. I don't have the thing in my pc that beeps when something is wrong, so that doesn't help.

Here are the specs:
Motherboard: Asus a320m-k
New CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Old CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: GT 1030
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8G 3600mhz (I was running at 3200mhz overclocked)
Power Supply: Apevia Raptor 450W

Is my motherboard shot? Do I need a new one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Please stop creating multiple threads unless you want us and yourself to end up with spaghetti brains.

As for your issue, might want to see if the processors you have in your possession work on a compatible motherboard. I'd also ditch that PSU in favor of one that's reliably built with at least 550W of power at your entire system's disposal.

Since all worked well for a week, your specs and bios level were likely ok.
My guess is that the apevia psu might be the cause.
That brand is not highly regarded.
Perhaps it could not properly handle the added power draw of the 5600x.

See if you can't test with a known good replacement.
I would consider buying a quality replacement regardless.
Your cpu can drive a very fast graphics card which would need much more power.
Look for a 650w psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic focus and corsair rm are good places to start.

Solution