BurstCraftGaming

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
Guys... I'm defeated.

I've had this PC a couple of years now without any issues other than needing to reinstall windows a couple of times because you know how they can get sometimes, you just need a refresh.
I want to say.... 4-5 days ago, she's been getting the "error" blue screen (while the 2 other monitors are still functional and it "collects data" OR (different events) restarting to a "bios reset" black screen.
This may be unrelated but two things to note. I remember a night I restarted my PC and it just felt strange. I can't out my finger on it but coincidentally, it hasn't been the same since.
Additionally, I moved my pc around my room and I to a different power outlet which originally had a big wall brick on it but once I had this issue (that almost seemed like a power issue), I removed the power block and ran my pc through the surge protected boards I've always used.
Issues persisted.
Today, I reinstalled windows. The issue still persists.

OH something to mention, some people reported a dying cmos battery may have been the cause. I've replaced that (which was a pain in the butt) and it's still doing this.
(I've also ruled out heat as I monitored it several times and nothing got over 50 degrees C even while rendering out an after effects video.

So, my thoughts are going down to mother oard, power supply, power boards having constant power issues or some reported dead ram.
(It does keep resetting my XMP profile button on the motherboard.)

Heres my specs:
i7 7820X No overclock
MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
(8 sticks) 64GB (total) of Corsair 3200mhz RGB ram (just realised cpuz is showing 48gb so it might be the ram)
ACTUALLY, CPUZ is showing that in the "spd" tab, you can select each slot separately, slot 3-8 is completely blank and slot 1-2 are both 8GB each. This doesn't make any sense?
MSI 1080TI Gaming X 11G Graphics Card
Liquid cooled
Rm850x corsair psu

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Reseated all of my ram 2 by 2. None of them had issues and couz showed 64gb afterwards with and without xmp. Very strange.
Since, I've reset the bios to defaults again and it's still locking up and turning off randomly. I did however find a method to test it.
I watched a movie last night while streaming the movie from my pc to our roku in theiving room via plex. It couldn't get 20mons without shutting off my pc without fail. Using this to test issues and running a movie. Still no idea what's happening.

Last edited:
Solution
but the two I'm using I've just realised are one of each kit. Not sure if that would still cause issues.
Yes it might, was what i wanted to avoid.

As for the latest bios, I honestly don't know, but i'd doubt it. I've used the MB like this since I bought it without this issue ever occurring. Do you think I need to look at flashing it? (I've never flashed a bios before and honestly, i've heard bad stories)...
If you go into the bios than you can see in there what revision you run. Updating isn't that huge of a hassle and yes it might go wrong, but that isn't going to happen if you read well, take the right steps and don't interfere. You have stable power there?
You're motherboard has the "USB Bios Flashback" function...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With 8 sticks you used one kit or two to get that many ram?

If two can test each kit on their own. Can even go to one stick at a time, use memtest86 and see if they are giving faults. Make sure to use the default slot for it if testing one, can be found in the motherboard manual.

You have the latest bios?

Reactions: BurstCraftGaming

BurstCraftGaming

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
With 8 sticks you used one kit or two to get that many ram?

If two can test each kit on their own. Can even go to one stick at a time, use memtest86 and see if they are giving faults. Make sure to use the default slot for it if testing one, can be found in the motherboard manual.

You have the latest bios?
It was two separate kits of the same ram. I'm glad you brought that up. I've been running them for a year now on XMP without issues, but i had wondered if i should consider that they're of two kits a possible issue now. Funnily enough, I'm running 16GB right now with two sticks to help eliminate variables, but the two I'm using I've just realised are one of each kit. Not sure if that would still cause issues.

I'll look at the manual for the default slot and memtest each one at a time, i appreciate you reminding me that existed. Not much experience with it but I'll figure it out.

As for the latest bios, I honestly don't know, but i'd doubt it. I've used the MB like this since I bought it without this issue ever occurring. Do you think I need to look at flashing it? (I've never flashed a bios before and honestly, i've heard bad stories)...

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
but the two I'm using I've just realised are one of each kit. Not sure if that would still cause issues.

If you go into the bios than you can see in there what revision you run. Updating isn't that huge of a hassle and yes it might go wrong, but that isn't going to happen if you read well, take the right steps and don't interfere. You have stable power there?
You're motherboard has the "USB Bios Flashback" function with which you should be able to flash even when it get's wrong. And it has a two bios switches so you shoud be able to flip the "Multi BIOS Switch" and use the second one.

For bios version can you also use "dxdiag" , rightclick the start button and click "execute" type dxdiag there and click enter.

Solution

BurstCraftGaming

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013

You're motherboard has the "USB Bios Flashback" function with which you should be able to flash even when it get's wrong. And it has a two bios switches so you shoud be able to flip the "Multi BIOS Switch" and use the second one.

For bios version can you also use "dxdiag" , rightclick the start button and click "execute" type dxdiag there and click enter.
I'll give this all a go when I can. I ran me test on each stick and one of them threw errors, the other 7 passed. I thought that fixed my issue. I stopped using the other 3 that went with the 1 bad sticks kit and used my pc all last night and yesterday thinking it was all good.
Nope, today... It did it again. I'm so pissed. I'm assuming now we're talking motherboard or psu. I'll check out what you said first before I do anything else, but does this screen mean anything to you?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah "Windows Hardware Error" mostly points at hardware as said, but can be windows as well or maybe drivers/bios update needed.

Can reseat every part including cpu, do look at pins in the socket while at it. Do update drivers/ bios. Maybe even reinstall windows.

Can look with " WhoCrashed " if that has more info about what crashed exactly.