PC Boot Issues possibly tied to GPU

justanicol

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Hey guys,

Having an issue getting my PC to boot properly. It started happening a few weeks ago where the PC would power up for about 10 seconds but then would die. I thought it was a PSU issue so I replaced it however have continued to have the issue since. I left the issue for a weekend and then went back to boot it on the Monday just to see what would happen and it booted fine and ran like a dream for about 2 weeks however as of this morning I'm having the same issue again.

The PC will boot for about 10-12 seconds before completely powering off, however if I unplug the 6pin power connector from the GPU it powers on fine and runs until I power down. When unpowered the display shows a message saying I need to plug the power cables in so I'm gathering the card isn't completely dead. I've re-seated the card multiple times, even went as far to rebuild the pc from scratch but nothing seems to be getting it to work

Any help or ideas are appreciated. My specs are;

MSI B350M Mini ATX Mobo
MSI GTX 950 2GB GPU
Ryzen 5 1500 CPU
Thermaltake 700W PSU
Corsair 2400mhz RAM x2

Solution
Your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics actually. The board has video ports but the first Ryzen CPUs don't have integrated yet.

Patchy sometimes works sometimes doesn't usually tells you there is something wrong with the board. Sorry to see the new card didn't help (or maybe it did). One thing you can try is running the board out of the case on a cardboard box to make sure there are no shorts anywhere. Another thing is had a quick look at the capacitors and make sure they aren't bulging at all. Could just be a bad or dirty PCIe slot, try cleaning it with with alcohol if you have some before giving up on the board.

justanicol

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

I actually don't. I bought the card as a replacement for a dead card just over a year ago and so the warranty has run out on it. I still have warranty on the MOBO and CPU though so I'm buying a new card this afternoon. I figure that if its not the card thats broken I can at least sell it to recoup a little bit.

jr9

Estimable
Well to me it sounds like it's either the board or the card. Without another part to try it's very hard to determine. One thing you could do instead of gambling and buying a part is to find a shop that preferably does free diagnostics and get them to determine which part it is. They'll have an AM4 board that they can run that card and CPU in. If you were planning on a GPU upgrade anyways then go ahead but if it doesn't work you may want to get someone to test the board and CPU while they are at it. I generally avoid RMA unless I can 100 percent confirm it is dead.

justanicol

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

So after going and getting a new card (to be honest the 950 was only a bandaid solution until i had cash but I can confirm its not the GPU thats causing the issues. So I'm putting it down to the mobo. I can't even get the on board graphics to work to check temps etc. Lucky its under warranty but I just wish I knew whats caused it to go considering its not even 6 months old.

Edit: after attempting to boot again Ive managed to get it to fully boot however I am concerned that its still so temperamental and worry that if I turn it off it may happen again.

jr9

Estimable
Your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics actually. The board has video ports but the first Ryzen CPUs don't have integrated yet.

Patchy sometimes works sometimes doesn't usually tells you there is something wrong with the board. Sorry to see the new card didn't help (or maybe it did). One thing you can try is running the board out of the case on a cardboard box to make sure there are no shorts anywhere. Another thing is had a quick look at the capacitors and make sure they aren't bulging at all. Could just be a bad or dirty PCIe slot, try cleaning it with with alcohol if you have some before giving up on the board.

Solution