Question PC boot only when touching reset PIN with screwdriver

Nov 24, 2019
Hi,
So i have an issue with the boot of my computer. The power button were kind of messed up and somehow didn't boot after the computer turn on.
What i am currently doing to boot the computer, is making contact with the power Pin directly on my MOBO with a screwdriver, by touching both of them at the same time, wich turn on the computer, but for it to boot and make the "beep" i have to do the same making contact with the reset PIN on the motherboard to get the red light and the booting sound.
Problem is that i have to do it every time, and it get tricky every time i have to restart the computer for update and all.
I would love to hear about a solution !

I am using WIndows 10 as an OS
Motherboard : ASUS PBZ77-V-LE
GPU GTX 680
CPU I7
Battery THermaltake 850 Watts
Thank you all in advance, have a great day

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
Sounds like you have the case button wires hooked up wrong. Because if they were right you wouldn't have access to the PWR pins to short with a screwdriver. If you are pulling the case wires out and then doing it and plugging them back in it sounds like the case buttons aren't working correctly and the case should be returned.

Nov 24, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

By power button do you mean the computer's front panel "start" button?

What case are you using? The power button probably needs to be replaced.

I am sorry, first post here.

I am using WIndows 10 as an OS
Motherboard : ASUS PBZ77-V-LE
GPU GTX 680
CPU I7
Battery THermaltake 850 Watts

Yes by Power button i mean the star button on the front panel.
The thing is it work, but is really hard to press wich is why i tried the other way around by using the pin-contact directly on the MOBO.
But in both case, it turn the computer on but won't boot it unless i use the reset pin option with a screwdriver.

Thank you for your time !

Nov 24, 2019
Sounds like you have the case button wires hooked up wrong. Because if they were right you wouldn't have access to the PWR pins to short with a screwdriver. If you are pulling the case wires out and then doing it and plugging them back in it sounds like the case buttons aren't working correctly and the case should be returned.

Yeah i agree, the thing is i don't understand why i have to use the reset option to boot the computer, button or not.
I mean , usually you just need to press the start to have the computer booting but not in my case, i have to do it to boot the computer ...

Nov 24, 2019
UPDATE

So i fixed the buttons on the front panel. The buttons work now, but i still have the same issue, the computer will boot only if i press the reset button.
So basicly what i have to do in order to boot the computer is pressing the start button the computer turn on, but wont boot, then i press the reset button, sometime it work, and i can see the red light on the motherboard and hear the booting sound, sometime i have to turn the computer off and on again because the reset didn't work neither.
Sometime pressing it just slow down the fans, but that's about it. I have to try my luck again by turn off turn on , then press again the reset button until it boot.
I would love to simply press start and have the computer boot. but it doesn't.

Sorry if it sound unclear

4745454b

Titan
Have you tried it? I know you use the reset button to get it to boot, but if the button is broken then the reset button could be the problem.

It could be a bad board as well? To remove the question of the buttons unplug both the reset and power buttons. Short the power button with a screwdriver. Does it turn on like it should? If it doesn't, then it's a board issue.

Nov 24, 2019
If i unplug both, and turn it on with a screwdriver by making contact between both pin, it does turn on, but won't boot. If i use a screwdriver to make contact between the pins to turn it on, and do the same thing with the resets pin, it does boot