[SOLVED] PC Booting to Command Prompt Only **WINDOWS 10**

Mar 17, 2022
When I turn the PC on it boots properly, but it boots onto black screen and command prompt. Tried DISM and SFC commands which didn't find any corrupted files. Tried DISM command with install.wim file, still didn't work. Last thing I know before the issue appeared was that my co-worker interrupted an update, tried reinstalling updates but it still wont boot normally. If anyone has any info to help please.

Solution
That was what I thought.

is there anything on PC he needs to save?
  • Boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd
I would clean install, not a lot you can do from outside os
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick a restore date prior to problem, if one exists
PC will restart and roll back to this date.
Dism + install.wim = full installation of windows so a restore point is not going to do anything more than that.
When I turn the PC on it boots properly, but it boots onto black screen and command prompt. Tried DISM and SFC commands which didn't find any corrupted files. Tried DISM command with install.wim file, still didn't work. Last thing I know before the issue appeared was that my co-worker interrupted an update, tried reinstalling updates but it still wont boot normally. If anyone has any info to help please.
You should use bootrec to look up what if any windows options there are on the disk and find and add them to the boot menu.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...p-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5d

Mar 17, 2022
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick a restore date prior to problem, if one exists
PC will restart and roll back to this date.
I really dont get how PPL can use their PC, no restore point detected on the PC in question, so restoring to previous working condition was not an option.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That was what I thought.

is there anything on PC he needs to save?
  • Boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd
I would clean install, not a lot you can do from outside os
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution