Question PC Booting to Windows Setup After BIOS update

Jun 1, 2022
Hey all,
I was trying to update my BIOs on my MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus motherboard. I went through the process of flashing my BIOs to version 7C56v1A1 and all seemed fine. On reboot I was greeted by the usual splash and then the purple of the windows setup tool. I think my PC is trying to boot to the repair thing. Then I tried flashing again to version 7C56v19 and I am still booting to the same screen. I have looked at the boot order and my os ssd is 1st on the list. Please help if you can!
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
version 7C56v1A1

That's the latest, Beta BIOS. Beta meaning that it may produce issues. BIOS corruption is one of them, like you just witnessed.

version 7C56v19

Latest stable BIOS. Not much help once BIOS is already corrupted by Beta BIOS. Should've gone with this instead, while leaving Beta BIOS alone.

I was trying to update my BIOs on my MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus motherboard.

Reason for BIOS update was?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

and then the purple of the windows setup tool.

Looks like OS got corrupted. Here, reinstalling Win should fix it.

Reactions: sknightr
Jun 1, 2022
That's the latest, Beta BIOS. Beta meaning that it may produce issues. BIOS corruption is one of them, like you just witnessed.

Latest stable BIOS. Not much help once BIOS is already corrupted by Beta BIOS. Should've gone with this instead, while leaving Beta BIOS alone.

Reason for BIOS update was?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

Looks like OS got corrupted. Here, reinstalling Win should fix it.
I appreciate the response. I have reinstalled windows and finally got in!

Reactions: Aeacus