Question PC Boots in low resolution and displays out of range when going to launch a game in fullscreen

Apr 22, 2019
Specs

CPU : i3-6100

GPU : Zotac 1050ti

Ram : 8gb DDR4 2400 (1x8gb)

PSU: Seasonic S12-II 520 watts

I got my new DVI-D to VGA adapter now and the problem is solved thank you for your answers

So i have a problem when my PC boots it boots on a very low resolution that I can't even see the options on my bios settings or press the F8 key to see the bios settings like that and the loading screen is a windows vista which is a problem because my operating system is windows 7 ultimate and whenever I tried to play a game on fullscreen mode my monitor goes black and displays OUT OF RANGE.. I tried to use alt+ enter to set it to borderless mode and it works but whenever I tried it to get into fullscreen it still gives the OUT OF RANGE problem. I don't know what's the cause of this because everything was fine until my brother borrowed my DVI-D to VGA adapter then when i got it this happened..

Troubleshooting:

- uninstalled the GPU driver using DDU and Install a fresh updated graphics driver and it didn't work.

- Rollback my Driver still didn't work

-Tried to check my GPU temperature while playing any game set to borderless mode and its still normal

- Reseated my GPU still didnt work

-Tried to restore to defaults on NVIDIA control panel but it sets the default resolution to 2048 x 1536 which also gives the OUT OF RANGE problem because my monitor is only 1366 x 768
View: https://imgur.com/dmCvegt

Last edited:

Diddly

Distinguished
try "windowed mode" and remove any nvidia game optimisations from nvidia experience and force the resolution to match your monitor in the nvidia control panel - restore games back to their default video settings. It might be DSR messing things up

Apr 22, 2019
try "windowed mode" and remove any nvidia game optimisations from nvidia experience and force the resolution to match your monitor in the nvidia control panel - restore games back to their default video settings. It might be DSR messing things up
tried it forced the game to run in windowed mode and then tried to restore the default settings but the problem is whenever i try to reset them to default settings they would go back to my native 16:9 1366x768 resolution and it goes out of range again... I have forced the resolution to match my monitors resolution but the low resolution boot problem persists
View: https://imgur.com/ZmL4Dz8
it appears like this which is a vista loading screen but my os is windows 7

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you say 'boots on a very low resolution, can't see text' you mean it's booting and the text is so tiny you can't read it? Or so large it takes up a huge chunk of screen?

I had Win7 Pro, had almost the same loader but mine was blue. 7 and Vista were almost the same OS, used many of the same drivers etc.

Apr 22, 2019
When you say 'boots on a very low resolution, can't see text' you mean it's booting and the text is so tiny you can't read it? Or so large it takes up a huge chunk of screen?

I had Win7 Pro, had almost the same loader but mine was blue. 7 and Vista were almost the same OS, used many of the same drivers etc.
Yes it takes a huge chunk of screen its like zooming on a web browser where you can only see half of the bios info because its huge like that.... Sorry that i cant provide a pic of it because my phone is broken but ill try to borrow from a friend

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's something not right there. Almost like your monitor is physically set for the wrong resolution. Bios is standalone. It's not affected by any drivers or other settings as such, they get loaded with windows. Bios is way before that happens. If the monitor physically is set for the wrong resolution it'll be off from the start, and windows will have to fight to over-ride that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you try the computer using a Tv + Hdmi cable to test? To rule out adapter cable? Since you said this happened when you got the cable back, maybe its the cable, or not plugged in right. Check condition of cable at both ends.

Adapter is the most likely problem there. It prevents correct resolution being detected. And it is not DVI-I to VGA (GTX 1050 would not have DVI-I output). It has to be active DVI-D to VGA.

BTW - what monitor is being used? Does it have any other inputs than VGA?
If it has any of other options, then I'd use DVI-DVI, DP-DP or HDMI-HDMI cable (without any adapters in the middle).

Apr 22, 2019
Can you try the computer using a Tv + Hdmi cable to test? To rule out adapter cable? Since you said this happened when you got the cable back, maybe its the cable, or not plugged in right. Check condition of cable at both ends.
I can't try that because i don't have any hdmi cable to connect it. I'll buy a new adapter to see if it's the adapter that has a problem it will take at least 2-3 days for it to be delivered so yeah ill update this when I get it and I double checked the cables and I don't see any cable being damage or pins getting bent.

Apr 22, 2019
Adapter is the most likely problem there. It prevents correct resolution being detected. And it is not DVI-I to VGA (GTX 1050 would not have DVI-I output). It has to be active DVI-D to VGA.

BTW - what monitor is being used? Does it have any other inputs than VGA?
If it has any of other options, then I'd use DVI-DVI, DP-DP or HDMI-HDMI cable (without any adapters in the middle).
Sorry for the wrong info (edited it) and yes it is an active DVI-D to VGA adapter.

I'm using a BENQ G615HDPL Its quite old actually so it only has a VGA port.