Braxton Jensen

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
I have a weird issue that I cannot figure out so I am hoping someone here can help me.

Whenever I allow Windows to update, my PC bluescreens over and over with the error "page fault in nonpaged area". If I revert the update and go to a recovery instance before the updates the PC works just fine. If I disable windows updates and all of that it works fine. That said, windows constantly updates regardless for some reason.

I want to figure out why it constantly bluescreens when I update windows and potentially how to fix it.

What I have tried: I have swapped the motherboard and CPU (neither fixed it) and it still happens with different RAM installed. I tried reinstalling windows a few times but it still happens.

The only way I can reinstall windows is to make sure I do not connect to the internet during setup as it will install updates when installing windows, which will cause the bluescreen. If I use Ubuntu I have no issues (but that is probably it doesn't automatically install drivers or updates).

-------Edit:---------

Things to note:

The motherboard is on the newest BIOS
The problem happened before I swapped the motherboard and CPU as well, meaning that this problem was happening with two separate motherboards, CPUs and RAM (as I tried completely different RAM as well)
The bluescreen ONLY appears after windows updates itself and after a restart to finalize the update
I, of course, reinstalled windows after the motherboard and CPU swap
The latest GPU drivers are installed but regardless of the GPU drivers I use it seems it has no effect on the occurrence of the bluescreening

PC Specs:
Xeon E3-1231 v3 (Previously an i5-4590)
Msi H97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
Msi Ventus Xs GTX 1660
16GB of DDR3 RAM
1TB HDD
256GB SSD
750W 80+ Gold PSU

Last edited:
Solution
I have a weird issue that I cannot figure out so I am hoping someone here can help me.

Whenever I allow Windows to update, my PC bluescreens over and over with the error "page fault in nonpaged area". If I revert the update and go to a recovery instance before the updates the PC works just fine. If I disable windows updates and all of that it works fine. That said, windows constantly updates regardless for some reason.

I want to figure out why it constantly bluescreens when I update windows and potentially how to fix it.

What I have tried: I have swapped the motherboard and CPU (neither fixed it) and it still happens with different RAM installed. I tried reinstalling windows a few times but it still happens.

The only way...

The only way I can reinstall windows is to make sure I do not connect to the internet during setup as it will install updates when installing windows, which will cause the bluescreen. If I use Ubuntu I have no issues (but that is probably it doesn't automatically install drivers or updates).

PC Specs:
Xeon E3-1231 v3 (Previously an i5-4590)
Msi H97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
Msi Ventus Xs GTX 1660
16GB of DDR3 RAM
1TB HDD
256GB SSD
750W 80+ Gold PSU
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios (select update bios and me in mflash if there is 2 options).. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

Braxton Jensen

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios (select update bios and me in mflash if there is 2 options).. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
I appreciate the long and in-detail response however I would like to point out that I did say (though maybe not well) that I was having this issue even with a different motherboard and CPU. I have reinstalled windows after changing out the CPU and motherboard but of course, it was still blue screening during the windows setup/install, so I had to make sure to install/setup windows without connecting to the internet otherwise it bluescreens.

The RAM is in slots 2 and 4, plus the problem still happens in different RAM slots and with completely different RAM (and again this is true for BOTH motherboards). Also, the GTX 1660 only has one power plug so that last part doesn't apply to my setup. The hardware acceleration makes no difference in the appearance of the bluescreen, again it ONLY happens when windows tries to update.

This is why I am confused. If it was a driver thing for the motherboard (chipset) or the CPU then changing the CPU and/or motherboard would have fixed it but it didn't. (Again I did a clean install of windows after changing the motherboard and CPU). These bluescreens happen as soon as it tries to boot to windows. And ONLY happen after windows updates.

I will edit this post with the following information:

The motherboard has the newest BIOS installed.
The problem persisted even with a different motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Windows install as this problem has been an issue since I first built my PC (with an i5-4590 and a B85 motherboard).
The Bluescreen only appears after windows updates. Typically it won't happen until you restart the PC to finalize the updates so the bluescreens occur when you try to load into windows.