Discussion PC Builders - How did you obtain a copy of Windows?

How did you obtain a copy of Windows?

• Paid Retail Price

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Recycled Old Key

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Cheap Gray-Market Key

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Didn't Activate Windows

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
S9Mj5u9.jpeg

As you may know, Microsoft punishes PC builders by expecting them to pay $120+ for a retail copy of Windows. For your last Windows PC build (assuming you built), how did you obtain a copy of Windows?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
My desktop has been through probably 10 revisions with the license being the only consistent part throughout.

Originally bought a W7 Pro retail.... had to call MS to reuse it on the next motherboard or two. Skipped 8 entirely, and by the time 10 rolled around, the in-place upgrade and "linked to a MS account" existed and that's where I am today on W11.

Reactions: CParsons
Not including my current build, the past 3 builds were from OEM keys from either NewEgg or Amazon. Before then I had a student account with MSDN and they handed out Windows for free. My current build uses a retail key from Microsoft, if only so I can just have it transfer over to a new computer in the future via my Microsoft account.

I don't mind paying the full price though.

At different times, throughout OS installations spanning 30 years, I could put a tick in all of those boxes.

At one point, Microsoft had this wonderful Technet subscription that gave you access to almost ALL workstation and server OSs AND server apps, for a very reasonable price. I know they got rid of it due to people reselling all the keys but, for those who didn't resell stuff (like myself) it was an invaluable tool for test environments, home sandbox environments, and such. I really wish they would've found a way to tattoo each individual account's softwares, and just rescind/punish those accounts that resold keys instead of getting rid of the whole thing. I know I can sign up for 'trial versions' but there's more hoops to jump through now and your testing time is limited.

D

Deleted member 14196

i have access to boatloads of keys with msdn developer but... i buy my licenses, actually I buy a pc that comes with it. there was a time i was not like this, but those days and that person are long gone.

USAFRet

Titan
At one point, Microsoft had this wonderful Technet subscription that gave you access to almost ALL workstation and server OSs AND server apps, for a very reasonable price. I know they got rid of it due to people reselling all the keys but,
Yep.

If the same license key is being activated in Boston, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, and Belgrade....they know its not you.

D

Deleted member 14196

and this is why i never give out my keys. they are for ME to use in VMs for testing, that's it. and that's what I use them for, Servers, Desktop whatever needs testing

we've got great working relationship with them, i would never choose to do something stupid

USAFRet

Titan
and this is why i never give out my keys. they are for ME to use in VMs for testing, that's it. and that's what I use them for, Servers, Desktop whatever needs testing

we've got great working relationship with them, i would never choose to do something stupid
Not "give out"...sell.
Where do you think those $20 license keys come from?

D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, it makes me sad and kind of angry about those basically stolen keys

D

Deleted member 14196

you get them with a developer subscription too. which is uber nice. we can build out any set of vms to model customer configs for local testing and development. I use lots of mine for this and qa and eng test and verification, etc..

i like our stuff to install and integrate into even the toughest environments (Corp IT, etc) and for people to enjoy using our stuff.

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
I finally upgraded to windows 10 from a die hard 7.. and the home edition is nice, <Mod Edit> and rest same as pro with you know not so many "remote/wifi network" options bc who in hell needs'em, you're listening music not having a company to hold and I didn't pay a leg to activate it, it says activated after i randomly installed it stays activated. I think Windows 10 home at very least now is free to keep, if not then i walked into 4th dimension. What's in hand isn't a lie!

USAFRet

Titan
I finally upgraded to windows 10 from a die hard 7.. and the home edition is nice, <Mod Edit> and rest same as pro with you know not so many "remote/wifi network" options bc who in hell needs'em, you're listening music not having a company to hold and I didn't pay a leg to activate it, it says activated after i randomly installed it stays activated. I think Windows 10 home at very least now is free to keep, if not then i walked into 4th dimension. What's in hand isn't a lie!
If you Upgraded from Win 7, no magic needed.
A WIn 7/87/8.1 license is valid to activate a Win 10 or 11 install.