[SOLVED] PC Completely shutting down

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Hello everyone,

I recently (about 6 months ago) got myself a new PC, built it myself. I'll leave the configuration below but let me first explain the issue:
About 5 days ago I started encountering an issue where when I play a game (eg. Rainbow Six Siege, The Division 2, etc.) my PC sometimes randomly powers down completely and I'm unable to start it up back again. The fix I devised for not being able to start it up is to switch the PSU off using the built in switch, disconnect the power cable from the PSU, hold power button at the front of the case for ~10 seconds, plug the cable back in, switch it on and then press the power button. When all these steps are completed after the PC had lost it's power, pressing the power button for the first time does nothing, but it starts up after the second press. Now keep in mind that this has just started happening recently, I've never had this issue before while playing any AAA game on any graphical preset. What do you guys think?

IMPORTANT EDIT: The issue that I explained above just occurred while PC was idle i.e. I just had Chrome opened up on this very forum. This time though I did not have to go through the process of unplugging it, I just pressed the power button and it started to boot. Nothing was running except Chrome and GPU Tweak II in the background when it lost power/crashed.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that I tried some methods to recreate the issue and I was successful in my tests. To get a full load for the CPU I used prime95 running a stress test on all cores/threads and FurMark for the GPU running Fullscreen with 8x MSAA. The power loss occurred after ~4 minutes of running. I somewhat monitored the temperatures of CPU and GPU using HZXT CAM software. The temperature for the CPU did not cross ~65° Celsius and the GPU was around ~82° Celsius. This way of testing was probably not that accurate but that's all I knew how to do.

My specifications:
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: 2 x 8GB HYPERX Predator RGB 3600 MHz (Running at 3200 Mhz)
  • GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon RX5700
  • Cooling: NZXT KRAKEN X52
  • PSU: COOLER MASTER MWE 550 Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified
  • Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 SSD (The OS is on here)
  • Storage: SAMSUNG 860 QVO 1TB SATA III SSD
  • Case: NZXT H500

Last edited:
Solution
Hello everyone,

I recently (about 6 months ago) got myself a new PC, built it myself. I'll leave the configuration below but let me first explain the issue:
About 5 days ago I started encountering an issue where when I play a game (eg. Rainbow Six Siege, The Division 2, etc.) my PC sometimes randomly powers down completely and I'm unable to start it up back again. The fix I devised for not being able to start it up is to switch the PSU off using the built in switch, disconnect the power cable from the PSU, hold power button at the front of the case for ~10 seconds, plug the cable back in, switch it on and then press the power button. When all these steps are completed after the PC had lost it's power...
Hello everyone,

About 5 days ago I started encountering an issue where when I play a game (eg. Rainbow Six Siege, The Division 2, etc.) my PC sometimes randomly powers down completely and I'm unable to start it up back again. The fix I devised for not being able to start it up is to switch the PSU off using the built in switch, disconnect the power cable from the PSU, hold power button at the front of the case for ~10 seconds, plug the cable back in, switch it on and then press the power button. When all these steps are completed after the PC had lost it's power, pressing the power button for the first time does nothing, but it starts up after the second press. Now keep in mind that this has just started happening recently, I've never had this issue before while playing any AAA game on any graphical preset. What do you guys think?

IMPORTANT EDIT: The issue that I explained above just occurred while PC was idle i.e. I just had Chrome opened up on this very forum. This time though I did not have to go through the process of unplugging it, I just pressed the power button and it started to boot. Nothing was running except Chrome and GPU Tweak II in the background when it lost power/crashed.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that I tried some methods to recreate the issue and I was successful in my tests. To get a full load for the CPU I used prime95 running a stress test on all cores/threads and FurMark for the GPU running Fullscreen with 8x MSAA. The power loss occurred after ~4 minutes of running. I somewhat monitored the temperatures of CPU and GPU using HZXT CAM software. The temperature for the CPU did not cross ~65° Celsius and the GPU was around ~82° Celsius. This way of testing was probably not that accurate but that's all I knew how to do.

My specifications:
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: 2 x 8GB HYPERX Predator RGB 3600 MHz (Running at 3200 Mhz)
  • GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon RX5700
  • Cooling: NZXT KRAKEN X52
  • PSU: COOLER MASTER MWE 550 Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified
  • Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 SSD (The OS is on here)
  • Storage: SAMSUNG 860 QVO 1TB SATA III SSD
  • Case: NZXT H500
I'd suspect the power supply as the problem. The one you have is not good. Everything else in your build looks good but the cheap PSU sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd step up the power to 650 watts and get a higher quality, reliable model such as Corsair RMx, or Seasonic Focus GX.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
I'd suspect the power supply as the problem. The one you have is not good. Everything else in your build looks good but the cheap PSU sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd step up the power to 650 watts and get a higher quality, reliable model such as Corsair RMx, or Seasonic Focus GX.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll take a look around few shops to see if they have the models you specified.

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019

Just want to give you an update, I ordered a Seasonic FOCUS GX750, that was the only one that they had that seemed pretty good.

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
The problem done with new PSU??

I have the same issue when load a round Warzone Call of duty
Specs: ryzen 3800x
Radeon Rx 5700 XT
Mobo X470-f gaming asus strix
PSU 600w pc yes
8gb ram
No, it's not here yet. They called me saying it would arrive early next week. I'll post an update here as soon as I get it and set it up.

Just want to give you an update, I ordered a Seasonic FOCUS GX750, that was the only one that they had that seemed pretty good.
Well done. That should give you many years of reliable service. Congrats! Besides outright failure, a lower quality PSU can send dirty power (high ripple) to the system causing increased strain on the motherboard and GPU wearing them out prematurely. Fingers crossed the old one didn't damage anything else in the system. It's unlikely, but possible.

Reactions: Morvan