[SOLVED] PC crash without bsod or crash dump file

Sep 25, 2019
Pc keeps crashing whenever i play games. Could be csgo could be insurgency. Temperature seems stable on speccy. Tried memtest and removing ram 1 at a time but problem still presist. Any idea whats causing it? Thanks

Intel i5 4460
Palit gtx 970
Gigabyte h97 motherboard
8gb ddr3 gskill
Cooler master v650

Solution
My suggestion, if you have a way to do so, would be to try that graphics card in another machine that DOES have a suitable, known good power supply in it OR a different graphics card in your machine, to see if the problem persists either way.

Alternatively, simply replacing the PSU is probably the least expensive way to throw something at it to see if it sticks, and is probably the most likely cause of the problem anyhow. At five years old (IF it is, since most reviews of that model are from 2016), that power supply is well into the age window where problems are likely and it could simply be a prematurely defective unit as well. Or, it could certainly be the graphics card itself. Even the motherboard could be to blame.

Without...
Sep 25, 2019
Ive done the windows memory diagnostic extended test with no problem encountered. The crash only happens when i am playing a game. It crashes instantly with no freezes or bsod. When trying to reboot the computer, it sometimes requires a few try of turning the power on and off before it properly reboots.

My suggestion, if you have a way to do so, would be to try that graphics card in another machine that DOES have a suitable, known good power supply in it OR a different graphics card in your machine, to see if the problem persists either way.

Alternatively, simply replacing the PSU is probably the least expensive way to throw something at it to see if it sticks, and is probably the most likely cause of the problem anyhow. At five years old (IF it is, since most reviews of that model are from 2016), that power supply is well into the age window where problems are likely and it could simply be a prematurely defective unit as well. Or, it could certainly be the graphics card itself. Even the motherboard could be to blame.

Without swapping parts in or out to eliminate some potential candidates, it's really more of a guessing game, but given the age of the power supply and the fact that the OEM used for those V650 units, Enhance electronics, doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to build quality and longevity, it wouldn't be too surprising to find that it's the problem at all. I might start there no matter what, simply because it is probably a good time for that to be replaced anyhow and since it's a likely culprit, that might drastically shorten the troubleshooting process.

Do not however be too surprised if the problem is something else OR is more than one thing. Often with a failing power supply it's not uncommon to find something else has been affected as well.

Solution