[SOLVED] PC crashed twice in the past 2 days after my SSD died and I put back my old one

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi!

So I have an M.2 Samsung 250Gb SSD that seems to have died, I don't know why yet but it's still under warranty so I'll have it replaced next week. My PC was turned on, I left it for like an hour and when I came back black screen and it said "select a drive to boot from" or something like that, I went into the BIOS and my SSD wasn't recognised anymore. So I put back my really old 64 Gb Kingston SSD, it had an old Windows 10 install on it and of course the registry is kinda f-ed up but I updated Windows, most of my games were on my HDD, and Steam and Origin could locate them without issues, so I tought I use my PC like this until my SSD gets replaced. However in the last two days my system crashed 2 times randomly. First I was playing LoL TFT not the most demanding game, and in the middle of a game, the screen locked up, sound went into a loop. The second time I was in Windows just watching youtube and the same thing happened. I looked at event viewer and I found one event that was always before the critical Kernel Power event about the system unexpectedly restarting. It's an event 11, stornvme,
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0"
-System

-Provider
[ Name] stornvme

-EventID11
[ Qualifiers] 49156

Level2

Task0

Keywords0x80000000000000

-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2020-01-05T00:23:12.725357500Z

EventRecordID2355

ChannelSystem

Computeruser-PC

Security

-EventData

\Device\RaidPort0

Sorry for copying like this but I tought this might help. I also got an event 1101: "Audit events have been dropped by the transport."

So my question is: Is this because of the corrupted registry or because of my old SSD not being in the best condition? Or can it be because of the power supply? Did my power supply kill my other SSD? It was only a bit over 1 year old.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
If your old SSD had a Windows already installed, it sounds like that install was from a prior system? If so, you've likely got a whole bunch of driver conflicts going on, which would likely be causing the crashes.

Unfortunately, without wiping the drive & clean installing your OS to it, it's impossible to say for sure.

A PSU isn't going to 'kill' an M.2 drive, as it's not directly connected. At least, it's not going to kill an M.2 without also damaging the motherboard.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If your old SSD had a Windows already installed, it sounds like that install was from a prior system? If so, you've likely got a whole bunch of driver conflicts going on, which would likely be causing the crashes.

Unfortunately, without wiping the drive & clean installing your OS to it, it's impossible to say for sure.

A PSU isn't going to 'kill' an M.2 drive, as it's not directly connected. At least, it's not going to kill an M.2 without also damaging the motherboard.

Solution

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

Thanks for you answer, I did a registry cleaning and a system file check, hopefully that be enough temporally, until I get my dead SSD replaced, then I'll do a clean install.