[SOLVED] PC Crashes With RTX 3070 but not with 1080 ?

_Jon_R

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
So, just recently I got a Gigabyte vision RTX 3070 I installed in my system. To give a little background, upon trying to install it I had issues where the power cables would just not want to go in all the way which seems to be a common problem with gigabyte using these new pins on this card. After fiddling around with a screw driver making sure they were all centered I got the 8 pin and 6 pin plug to seat properly. I go ahead and load up valley benchmark and after about 3 minutes the whole computer shuts down and restarts. Now, I went ahead and go back to my GTX 1080 with same settings on valley benchmark and it of course runs fine. Went ahead double checked card connection to motherboard as well as reseating the power cables.

My issue is I am either looking at a graphics card connection problem (thanks to the pins) or a PSU problem. I've had the same Corsair CX750m psu for about 5 years now so I wouldn't be suprised if the extra power bump to a 3070 makes it act finicky due to age. At the same time I have no idea if it could be the pins since I had to use a little screwdriver to bend them till the cables seated in the card. Computer will only shut off under intense graphical load, rocket league works great but COD MW causes it to shut off after a minute or two. All temps in valley benchmark stay good at about 70 C before the PC shuts down as well as the frames staying around 120fps.

Would really appreciate any extra advice or insight here if its the PSU or GPU. I really want to believe its the GPU since swapping it fixes the problem but on the other hand its hard to say because of such an old PSU .

My Specs:
RTX 3070 Giabyte Vision (swapped with GTX 1080 FE)
i7-8700K
2 Samsung 850 Evo's
2x8GB Corsair DDR4 2400mhz
Mobo: Asus prime z370
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Monitor: Asus Rog Swift PG279Q (1440p)

Solution
So, just recently I got a Gigabyte vision RTX 3070 I installed in my system. To give a little background, upon trying to install it I had issues where the power cables would just not want to go in all the way which seems to be a common problem with gigabyte using these new pins on this card. After fiddling around with a screw driver making sure they were all centered I got the 8 pin and 6 pin plug to seat properly. I go ahead and load up valley benchmark and after about 3 minutes the whole computer shuts down and restarts. Now, I went ahead and go back to my GTX 1080 with same settings on valley benchmark and it of course runs fine. Went ahead double checked card connection to motherboard as well as reseating the power cables...
So, just recently I got a Gigabyte vision RTX 3070 I installed in my system. To give a little background, upon trying to install it I had issues where the power cables would just not want to go in all the way which seems to be a common problem with gigabyte using these new pins on this card. After fiddling around with a screw driver making sure they were all centered I got the 8 pin and 6 pin plug to seat properly. I go ahead and load up valley benchmark and after about 3 minutes the whole computer shuts down and restarts. Now, I went ahead and go back to my GTX 1080 with same settings on valley benchmark and it of course runs fine. Went ahead double checked card connection to motherboard as well as reseating the power cables. My issue is I am either looking at a graphics card connection problem (thanks to the pins) or a PSU problem. I've had the same Corsair CX750m psu for about 5 years now so I wouldn't be suprised if the extra power bump to a 3070 makes it act finicky due to age. At the same time I have no idea if it could be the pins since I had to use a little screwdriver to bend them till the cables seated in the card. Computer will only shut off under intense graphical load, rocket league works great but COD MW causes it to shut off after a minute or two. All temps in valley benchmark stay good at about 70 C before the PC shuts down as well as the frames staying around 120fps. Would really appreciate any extra advice or insight here if its the PSU or GPU. I really want to believe its the GPU since swapping it fixes the problem but on the other hand its hard to say because of such an old PSU .

My Specs:
RTX 3070 Giabyte Vision (swapped with GTX 1080 FE)
i7-8700K
2 Samsung 850 Evo's
2x8GB Corsair DDR4 2400mhz
Mobo: Asus prime z370
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Monitor: Asus Rog Swift PG279Q (1440p)
You are right, either the PSU [PSU?] isn't supplying enough power to the card or the card is faulty. I would change the PSU for a decent quality one and hopefully, it will solve your problem.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 27, 2020
I'd go and get a PSU you can return and test it... That's a pretty big step from a 1080 to 3070. Worst case you find out it was the PSU (which 5 years is a pretty large gap) or it turns out it's faulty card and can return the PSU and get the GPU replaced.