[SOLVED] PC Crashing in a random and bizarre way [video included]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 6, 2021
View: https://youtu.be/6UwscADS2v8

Okay so I built my PC back in 2017, havent changed anything except for the SSD. This problem started a few months ago, well into lockdown. I'm using my PC as normal, all of a sudden it freezes, for about 5 to 10 seconds, sometimes the audio thats running in the background keeps running, most of the time it does not. This happened once while I was on a Discord call, so I check on my other device whether I was still in the call or not, and I was not, so I have to assume my PC "shut down"

Things I have tried:
  • I thought it was a problem with the HDD I had, so I replaced it with a fresh SSD.
  • I ran memtest86 to check on the RAM, it found no issues. (it didnt crash at that time which could possible mean something)
  • I reassembled my PC, making sure all the cables are tight just yesterday, and it has already crashed twice since then.
  • I unplugged and changed the ports of my Monitor around
  • I was using a PS3 Eye webcam, when the problem started, I uninstalled the drivers, replaced the webcam and everything
  • I've reset, reinstalled, re-reset, and re-reinstalled Windows 10
  • I've done fresh installs of every driver available, including the BIOS
  • I once accidentally left The Talos Principle on and running overnight totaling about 12+ hours (I was playing beforehand) and the next morning it didnt crash, it was running perfectly.
  • I monitored the temps, sometimes it crashes at 40C, sometimes it crashes at 60C
  • suspect the network card but I dont know how to test it out because the crash is unpredictable
All in all, there is no pattern that I can think of, and I really hope I dont have to replace any parts. They're all out of warranty afaik. There isnt even a BSOD or an error code I can refer to and its frustrating.

Solution
Okay this is really weird, I was in my BIOS and it froze up then and there. Does this still mean that the PSU is at fault or could it be the motherboard?
Oh damn, that could actually be your motherboard then. The PSU only generates like 10W when in BIOS, so it wouldn't make sense to point fingers at the PSU at that point.
Apr 6, 2021
o
Oh damn, that could actually be your motherboard then. The PSU only generates like 10W when in BIOS, so it wouldn't make sense to point fingers at the PSU at that point.

ouch, that is unfortunate. I've already bought a PSU now. Lets hope that was the problem area now. If all else fails I'll have to get a new motherboard as well :/

Apr 6, 2021

Turns out it was indeed my Motherboard. Specifically the PCIE slot with the network card. The crashing was sporadic because it would happen when I downloaded a bunch of stuff and I guess after a point it stopped working. I took out the network card and left the PC running overnight in a stress test, no crashes. I then tried a different PCIE slot, for which I had to bend the shielding so that it fits in the case, and it has been two days since and it still hasnt crashed.

So obviously at some point I should go an replace my motherboard now, but I've bought myself a little while so maybe I'll get a really nice one this time :)

Thanks y'all for helping me figure it out, I had been racking my brain forever and y'all helped me figure it out in like 3 days!

Reactions: Seban