Question PC didn't turn on at all today, turned PSU on and off and now booted with no issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmith3009

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
My PC is about 6 years old, and this morning when I came to turn it on as usual it didn't get any power at all, the fans didn't even spin. So I unplugged the PSU and turned it off and on, plugged it back in and it's booted fine as usual, but I'm worried it's the start of a bigger problem as it's never done this before.

The PSU is as old as the PC, it's an EVGA 500w bronze with 3 years warranty, so it's well past it's lifetime, but other than this I've never had any other problems with it. Is this a sign of the PSU failing or could it be something else? The PC is also plugged into a surge protector so could that have something to do with it? Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is this a sign of the PSU failing

I'd say so, since your PSU is low quality or even crap quality.

The PC is also plugged into a surge protector so could that have something to do with it?

Bad idea to use surge protection.
Reason why, explained by Darkbreeze, here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/everything-work-but-it-doesnt-work.3773133/#post-22771910

but other than this I've never had any other problems with it.

I suggest looking towards new PSU, rather than waiting far more severe result what your EVGA unit can do (namely, frying your entire PC).

For new PSU, i suggest Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RMe/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 600W range. You can go with higher wattage also, if you plan to upgrade your GPU.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Status
Not open for further replies.