ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
Hello,
My PC died suddenly. I played Skyrim last night and when I turned it on today, it showed no sign of life. I took it out and tested the PSU. I guess the PSU is ok because I tested it on another PC(My old one. Its got lower specs but works with this psu). Another weird thing I noticed was that the mouse continuously flickered very faintly and so did the speakers, they made a bup noise as if they were receiving power. So I guess the usb ports were being powered every few seconds, but the pc showed no sign of life. Should I reconnect my new PC and try again because I let all the components discharge completely. I never turn the power off after shutting down the PC. Could that be the problem? and could it be a bad motherboard?

Specs
CPU: Intel I5 4440
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S-LGA 1150
Ram: Hyperx Fury 8GB
SSD/HDD: WD Black 1 GB + Seagate 1 Gb (Don't Know the exact one)
GPU: Zotac GTX 960 4Gb
PSU: Corsais CX430 (5-6 Years old)
Chassis: Intex Case (A cheap case from an Indian Brand)

The PSU could be OK in a lesser demanding system, but it might not power a more demanding one.
Disconnected the drives from the motherboard and connect your monitor to the integrated graphics and try again.
Have you encountered any freezes, reboots or unexpected shutdowns?

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
The PSU could be OK in a lesser demanding system, but it might not power a more demanding one.
Disconnected the drives from the motherboard and connect your monitor to the integrated graphics and try again.
Have you encountered any freezes, reboots or unexpected shutdowns?
I will try removing components slowly starting with my GPU and see if it starts working. And yes, I did experience some freezing: The videos were not as smooth as they were a few months ago(Even though I reinstalled windows just 2 months ago), the games also lagged a lot more and sometimes the mouse and keyboard would just stop working all of a sudden.
I did not experience shutdowns though.
Thanks for replying

I ask, because sometimes we get signs of troubles on our PCs and we ignore them.
Was the computer freezing when on a heavy load or at any time?

If the computer still does not power on after testing the bare minimum components then it could be the motherboard.

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
I ask, because sometimes we get signs of troubles on our PCs and we ignore them.
Was the computer freezing when on a heavy load or at any time?

If the computer still does not power on after testing the bare minimum components then it could be the motherboard.
The PC turned on without removing any components but is dead again after some times. I have included the Weird Speaker Sound
I think it worked when the pc was turned off for a few hours. Could it be a CMOS problem? I don't think its PSU because the PC did work earlier today
And it did not exactly freeze, it just lagged a bit. The games lagged and the movies played from the drive also lagged (Netflix was smooth). The mouse and Keyboard went off randomly and started in a couple of seconds.

Last edited:

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
That looks like a failing motherboard.
But a PSU that is no longer delivering the power the system needs (when it gets hot) could be causing the issue.
The speakers make the sound and the mouse flickers when the PC is turned off. So, I guess the PC is receiving power even after it’s turned off. Could it be the motherboard that’s charging or that the psu is supplying power even when it’s not supposed to. I don’t think the psu is overbearing because I played fortnite yesterday and it did work for a few hours straight without any problem, and it is working right now. The problem occurs when I turn the pc off for a few hours, then it won't turn on until I remove the power cord for like 24 hours.

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
If the PSU is in good shape, then is the motherboard.
You could get an used 1150 motherboard...very inexpensive.
If the PSU is in good shape, then is the motherboard.
You could get an used 1150 motherboard...very inexpensive.
I'll get one and see how it goes, and do you recommend turning off the wall switch the PC is connected to? I always leave it on.
Thank you for helping me

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
I only turn off a PC if I won't be using it for a long period or if updates require to restart. I always use sleep mode.
I only power off and unplug a PC when troubleshooting to avoid damaging the PC or getting hurt.
I guess you right, it could be the PSU. My inverter went for a repair when my PC started having this problem. So, I guess the PSU might have fried something because of the fluctuating power(It's very bad here in India). My PC turns on only after many hours of unplugging the whole system, or else it keeps supplying short amounts of power that makes the mouse light fluctuate. If it is the PSU, should I go for Corsair CX430 or VS450 or any other one?

I guess you right, it could be the PSU. My inverter went for a repair when my PC started having this problem. So, I guess the PSU might have fried something because of the fluctuating power(It's very bad here in India). My PC turns on only after many hours of unplugging the whole system, or else it keeps supplying short amounts of power that makes the mouse light fluctuate. If it is the PSU, should I go for Corsair CX430 or VS450 or any other one?
Go with a 500-550W PSU
The Corsair CX series is better than the VS series.

Which other brands of PSUs are available to you?

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
Go with a 500-550W PSU
The Corsair CX series is better than the VS series.

Which other brands of PSUs are available to you?
I have Cooler Master MWE, Gigabyte GP-PB500, Cooler Master MPW, Antec BP450S, Antec VP500PC, Cooler Master E50. I saw these on Amazon. Cannot use Newegg because the shipping price is very high.

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
I mainly buy PSUs from Corsair and Seasonic, since they last and just in case the have good warranty. Electrical current fluctuation could kill or shorten the life of any PSU.
Corsair TX650M
Antec EA650G PRO Earthwatts Gold Pro
EVGA 550 B3
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W
I would love to get Seasonic but the price + shipping makes it a bit out of my budget yet. The PSU you sent me are also out of my budget yet. Is Corsair CX550 better than the others I sent you?

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
Antec NE series are not as good as the Corsair CX series. That's is why the Antec NE is cheaper and it has a shorter warranty.
Hey! Thank you for helping me out. I just received the Corsair CX450 from Amazon and my PC is working smoothly now. The games are smoother than they were before. I decided to go with the 450 and not 550 because Emmanuel from Corsair support told me that my PC would draw a maximum power of about 360W and not 420. Getting a 550W would only decrease the efficiency. I guess I calculated the power requirements wrongly. Thanks again mate