I am Tron

Honorable
Jun 5, 2017
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, a B450 Tomahawk Mobo, 16 GB of Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 RAM,GTX 1660TI GPU and a Cooler Master MWE 450w PSU. I was playing Fortnite and the PC suddenly turned off to a black screen. The CPU fan and GPU fan were running the case fan was still running and the GPU RGB and the motherboard RGB were still running. In the error code lights, I think DRAM lit up after that no response. I shut off the PSU to try and reset and restart the PC after which the CPU error code light continuously ran.

After that, I tried removing both RAM sticks and running from the single stick and tried all 4 RAM slots with both the rams in a single channel nothing happened same CPU error. Tried reseating the CPU and using different CPU cooler connectors nothing happened. Checked for bent pins on the CPU and I think there was maybe a bit of thermal paste on the CPU pins so cleaned that but still got nothing, cleaned the CPU socket on the mobo to no avail. After that, I tried running the PC with the CPU fan plugged into the mobo and seeing if there was any CPU heat. Nope, no heat at all it's like the CPU is not getting any power and I checked the CPU 8 PIN connector and tried plugging it again and nothing happened. So for now I feel like the PSU 8 Pin CPU connector could be at fault as it might not be supplying power to the CPU at all as there was no heat when I touched the CPU while the PC was on. Or the CPU could be dead itself after 4.5 years. Any input would be appreciated on how should i proceed forward. I have no spare CPU or PSU as of now I will try to go to a local PC shop tomorrow and try it there but if you guys can suggest anything I would like to do that before.

I am Tron

Honorable
Jun 5, 2017
The recommended PSU for your components are 400W, however due to potential power spikes you may need more wattage.
I calculated the power output no way it should be taking more than 300W MAX. 65 W CPU and 120 W GPU and if you add that to all the other parts I don't think that RAM, MOBO SSD and HDD will take that much power. Plus I've been using it for 4.5 years so I don't think that's the issue cause if it was it would've surfaced long before. I've played demanding games like Cyberpunk for over 100 hours when the CPU and GPU were both pegged and nothing happened this was back when the game was originally released and this happened when I was playing Fortnite in the lowest competitive settings when both the GPU and CPU weren't even that stressed power wise.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I calculated the power output no way it should be taking more than 300W MAX. 65 W CPU and 120 W GPU and if you add that to all the other parts I don't think that RAM, MOBO SSD and HDD will take that much power. Plus I've been using it for 4.5 years so I don't think that's the issue cause if it was it would've surfaced long before. I've played demanding games like Cyberpunk for over 100 hours when the CPU and GPU were both pegged and nothing happened this was back when the game was originally released and this happened when I was playing Fortnite in the lowest competitive settings when both the GPU and CPU weren't even that stressed power wise.
Still it doesn't hurt to try a better PSU and see if that helps. If not well then you've eliminated the psu from the equation.

I am Tron

Honorable
Jun 5, 2017
maybe just buy a cheap Athlon 3000g just to see if the CPU is defective. If the Athlon works then the CPU is defective, if not then something is probably wrong with the motherboard.
I don't wanna spend money unless I absolutely know that part is done for. I'll try to get it to a local repair shop and see if they can test it.