Question PC dies after 2-3 minutes of uptime with CPU indicator light on, is my CPU broken?

Oct 30, 2023
My PC dies after about 2-3 minutes of uptime with CPU light indicator on when it happens.

Some Context

The CPU in question is a Ryzen 7 2700x and is currently about 5 years old, it was running overclocked for most of its lifetime and a voltage of just below 1.4 volts.
The system had a change of power supply from a 650W power supply (A gigabyte bronze, unsure of model) to a 550W power supply (Seasonic G12 GC-550) 3 months before the problems in question happened and has been running without any issues in those 3 months.

I am currently unsure of the specific models of the other components but generally it is the following:
  • Low end Radeon RX series graphics card (probably RX550)
  • MSI B450 A Pro Max motherboard
  • Samsung 1TB m.2 SSD
  • 4x8GB Kingston Fury RAM
  • Deepcool AK400
  • 2x500GB HDD
  • 4xDeepcool fans

The GPU, SSD, and RAM has been the same since the 5 years of the system (except 2 sticks of RAM got added 1 year ago), and no change to the hardware has been made within the last 3 months.
The system would be stress quite heavily throughout its lifetime with workloads such as virtualization, simulations, and heavy I/O, the system would also be powered on for more hours than a usual desktop computer (if that even matters).

How the issue came to be​

One day during normal operation the system dies and the CPU indicator light turns on for a few seconds before it boots again. After that first incident the system can be powered on and boot normally into the OS as usual before suddenly (usually after 2-3 minutes) it dies again with the CPU indicator light on.

What I tried​

I have done the following:
  • Left it powered off overnight
  • Remove CMOS to clear bios
  • Draining the system of any power by unplugging power cable, holding power button for many seconds, and leaving it be for a few hours
  • Disconnect all fans except CPU fan, disconnect all HDD except 1 SSD, Removing 2 sticks of ram (logic is maybe the new 550W PSU can't deliver enough power, but then again the system has been running for 3 months with this PSU with no issues)
  • Reducing clock speeds to 3Ghz and also tried to under volt CPU (I don't know what I'm trying to achieve here, maybe less power? )
All of these efforts will result to the same initial issue, is the CPU just damaged after 5 years of use? I think that's a bit too short of a lifespan, but who knows, I'm usually wrong!

If necessary I can provide a more detailed list of each components model and any further details or other tests on the system or problem in question, Thank you in advance!​

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
(except 2 sticks of RAM got added 1 year ago), and no change to the hardware has been made within the last 3 months.
Try and remove the two later added sticks of ram, while having sticks in slots A2 and B2. See if that revives your platform.

it was running overclocked for most of its lifetime and a voltage of just below 1.4 volts.
Know that you're supposed to keep below 1.25v and you weren't in danger of degrading your processor. 1.4v is high for 24/7 tasks.

Your motherboard has a Flash BIOS button on the rear, you might want to see if you can flash the BIOS to something latter in generation and see if that resolves the issue. Follow through steps outlined in Page 40;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v4.0.pdf
in your motherboard manual.

Oct 30, 2023
(except 2 sticks of RAM got added 1 year ago), and no change to the hardware has been made within the last 3 months.
Try and remove the two later added sticks of ram, while having sticks in slots A2 and B2. See if that revives your platform.

it was running overclocked for most of its lifetime and a voltage of just below 1.4 volts.
Know that you're supposed to keep below 1.25v and you weren't in danger of degrading your processor. 1.4v is high for 24/7 tasks.

Your motherboard has a Flash BIOS button on the rear, you might want to see if you can flash the BIOS to something latter in generation and see if that resolves the issue. Follow through steps outlined in Page 40;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v4.0.pdf
in your motherboard manual.
I have tried using the 2 newer ram alone then the 2 older ram alone, however I'll make sure one more time by just trying every combination and I'll post a comment if that resolved it.

The system was indeed running at about 1.375 volts for most of its lifetime and it wouldn't necessarily be 24/7 but I do expect some degree of CPU degradation from such high voltages with the kind of workload it was be dealing with.

I did consider flashing a newer BIOS and I have done this once in the past about 1-2 years ago, however I am too afraid that in the middle of flashing the system will die and I'll now have a bricked motherboard, is this something I should worry about?

Thank you for your help