Question PC does not turn off from inside windows

Oct 24, 2021
Hi,

My PC (see spec list below) does not fully turn off from inside windows, meaning CPU fan, 1 of 3 GPU fans, and all of the system fans ramps up to full speed and stays on after pressing shut down inside windows. Only when doing a reboot from inside the BIOS does it temporarily turn itself off as it should. Because of this I have to press and hold the power button on the case or turn off the PSU to shut it down. Additionally, the PC does not turn back on from the state of full fan activity unless I have forced it to shut down. I have had this problem now for over a year and has never found any solutions online regarding Fast startup, ErP or anything else.

Help is much appreciated

PC spec list:
MSI 250 Krait Gaming
I5-7600k
8GB DDR4 2133 hyperX fury
RTX 2060Super (rog strix)
Corsair CW650W bronze
Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB NVMe SSD
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA SSD

Ralston18

Titan
Describe "pressing shut down inside windows". What exactly do you do?

You should, if you are not doing so, use the Windows power icon to shut down the system and not the computer's power button per se.

Windows needs to go through some housekeeping steps, possibly including finalizing updates, and otherwise saving files, configuration settings etc...

So Windows may appear to stay on and actually stay on for awhile longer before the host computer is physically permitted (by Windows) to shut down.

Interrupting that shutdown process and continuing to do just makes things worse.

Oct 24, 2021
Describe "pressing shut down inside windows". What exactly do you do?

You should, if you are not doing so, use the Windows power icon to shut down the system and not the computer's power button per se.

Windows needs to go through some housekeeping steps, possibly including finalizing updates, and otherwise saving files, configuration settings etc...

So Windows may appear to stay on and actually stay on for awhile longer before the host computer is physically permitted (by Windows) to shut down.

Interrupting that shutdown process and continuing to do just makes things worse.

Sorry for not making it clear, I am using the power icon to turn off windows. It goes through the process and then the fans go full on after about 30 sec. This then does not stop until power is cut or a force shutdown is made. I've waited for about 20 min after shutdown multiple times before having to force-kill it.

Thanks for the response!

Hi,

My PC (see spec list below) does not fully turn off from inside windows, meaning CPU fan, 1 of 3 GPU fans, and all of the system fans ramps up to full speed and stays on after pressing shut down inside windows. Only when doing a reboot from inside the BIOS does it temporarily turn itself off as it should. Because of this I have to press and hold the power button on the case or turn off the PSU to shut it down. Additionally, the PC does not turn back on from the state of full fan activity unless I have forced it to shut down. I have had this problem now for over a year and has never found any solutions online regarding Fast startup, ErP or anything else.

Help is much appreciated

PC spec list:
MSI 250 Krait Gaming
I5-7600k
8GB DDR4 2133 hyperX fury
RTX 2060Super (rog strix)
Corsair CW650W bronze
Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB NVMe SSD
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA SSD
Boot to the desktop.
Let it sit for a few mins.
Click on shutdown.
What happens?

Boot to desktop using safe mode.
Click on shutdown.
What happens?

Oct 24, 2021
Boot to the desktop.
Click on shutdown.
What happens?

Boot to desktop using safe mode.
Click on shutdown.
What happens?

Booting into windows, letting it sit and shutting it down shuts the OS off as it should, but then sends full power to case fans, CPU fan a GPU fan (only one of the 3, probably has nothing to do with it though)

Now, booting into safe mode and then doing a shutdown fully turns the PC off (hurray!), just like it does when shutting it off from inside the BIOS.
So, does this mean that the OS is faulty? I have already tried reinstalling windows plenty of times with different builds though nothing has changed...

Thanks for the response!

Oct 24, 2021
Very good that you are using the power icon.

Try the suggestions listed in posts #4 & #5 above. Post the results.

Then, if necessary, try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

sfc/scannow did find and fixed some corrupted files, DISM did not. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem

Thanks for the response and all the help!

Booting into windows, letting it sit and shutting it down shuts the OS off as it should, but then sends full power to case fans, CPU fan a GPU fan (only one of the 3, probably has nothing to do with it though)

Now, booting into safe mode and then doing a shutdown fully turns the PC off (hurray!), just like it does when shutting it off from inside the BIOS.
So, does this mean that the OS is faulty? I have already tried reinstalling windows plenty of times with different builds though nothing has changed...

Thanks for the response!
I think what that is saying is with a normal boot and then a shutdown windows is unable to shutdown some piece so it just starts up again.

Try a clean boot....use google....see what that shows.

Oct 24, 2021
I think what that is saying is with a normal boot and then a shutdown windows is unable to shutdown some piece so it just starts up again.

Try a clean boot....use google....see what that shows.

This seems logical. The clean boot unfortunately did not make a change

Thanks for the response!

Oct 24, 2021
Also look in Task Scheduler.

Could be some trigger has gotten into place and forces the restart.

It says "Status of tasks that have started in the following time period..." i set that to last 30 days, "Summary: 0 total, 0 running, 0 succeded, 0 stopped, 0 failed" So assuming I did that right, there should not be a trigger in place.

Again, thanks!

Oct 24, 2021
Verify the PSU make and model number.

Modular?

Did you use any connecting cables from other PSUs - "mix and match"?

Double check all power connections between PSU, motherboard, and case via the applicable User Guide/Manuals..

It is a corsair cx650 (rps 0055), non modular PSU thus no mix and match.
I've reseated every connection with the PSU and double checked everything, nothing changed.

Thanks!

Oct 24, 2021
Update,

I tried booting into the different safe modes, and when booting into safe mode with networking the computer did not shut down properly and the "normal" problems arose. I tried this multiple times to confirm it and is is consistent. So now the question is what really changes between regular safe mode and safe mode with networking. I have tried booting into safe mode with networking without the ethernet cable plugged in, but nothing canged.
Could it be that the network drivers are doing this?

Thanks to everyone helping me out, much appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
I am also curious about Task Scheduler not showing anything.

Two things you can do.

1.) Open Powershell as Admin and run the following cmdlet at the PS> prompt:

Get-SchduledTask

You should be presented with a lengthy list of Tasks and States.

2,) Run Process Explorer (free from Microsoft):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Objective being to get a sense of what all is running and to determine if there is anything that seems suspicious.

Any unrecognized process can be googled for more information about what that process is and what the process (supposedly) does.