Question PC freezes and requires a restart in order to work properly.

greenbatman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
For about 2 years my PC has been randomly freezing out of no where and requires a restart in order to be functional again. I could be gaming, I could have just turned the PC on, but it usually happens on idle. Usually when it freezes, I can still move my mouse around, but nothing happens. If I open the start menu, the start menu opens, but will be blank and won't load, and it won't close. I can't even open the task manager because it won't do anything when I click. It could not do it for 2 days, but you know it will eventually do it. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB RAM
GPU: 1080ti Zotac 11gb
SSD: 1TB Samsung SSD
PSU: Thermaltake - SMART 700W ATX 80 Plus Power Supply - Black

Lutfij

Titan
What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on? You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Speaking of which, what BIOS version for your motherboard are you on?

Might want to swap the unit out for a reliably built unit.

greenbatman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on? You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Speaking of which, what BIOS version for your motherboard are you on?

Might want to swap the unit out for a reliably built unit.
Hey man, thanks for replying! My Mobo is b450 gaming plus max. I admit it was on a 2020 update, and I updated it today to the latest BIOS update today. The latest update that I have now is the 7B86vHG1(Beta version). I also want to say that I recently upgraded my PSU to the current Thermaltake PSU I have, but the problem persisted before I upgraded the PSU.

Have you tried verifying the windows files by executing the following commands from an administrator level "CMD"?
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth once that is done, you can run sfc /scannow to confirm all files have been fixed.

locking up usually is a driver interference/corrupted file causing it. unless your having power supply issues, but that would be more rare.

greenbatman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Have you tried verifying the windows files by executing the following commands from an administrator level "CMD"?
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth once that is done, you can run sfc /scannow to confirm all files have been fixed.

locking up usually is a driver interference/corrupted file causing it. unless your having power supply issues, but that would be more rare.
I'll give this a try and get back to you within the hour!

greenbatman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013

Update: I ran CMD in Admin mode, ran the restorehealth command, followed by the sfc scannow command. It says it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. I'm assuming this was the issue, and I'll use the PC like I normally do and see if it freezes up again. If it does, I'll be right back on this thread.

Reactions: The Paladin

greenbatman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013

Well we're back. Turned it off for the night, came back in the morning, and it's done it again.