[SOLVED] PC freezes, black screen. What is faulty?

mse21

Commendable
May 20, 2019
Hello.

First i'll explain what happened then what i tried and how i "fixed" it.

PC is self made, worked fine witho no problems from march 2015, i've added one stick of ram around 2016.
So, half year ago my PC started to crashing. It always crashed the same way and always while gaming, black screen, buzzing sound from headset and only way to fix it was hard reset or restart button. First game it happened in was BF 5 and then in others like Rust, CSGO, Apex legends, fallout 4, the outer worlds and maybe some i don't remember. It never happened in dota 2, fallout new vegas, payday 2, mutant year zero and again some i don't remember. It was never consistent, for example : sometimes it crashed after 30 minutes of rust and other times i played rust for whole day even week and it didn't crashed. Or i played whole month all mentioned games and it didn't crashed once and then next month it crashed like 4 times in hour.

What i tried. Heaven benchmark (sometimes it crashed and sometimes it didn't), Prime95, memtest (everything fine, memtest 3 times and each time for 15+ hours), used new thermal paste on cpu, gpu, cleaned everything from dust (even psu), reseated everything in pc, i've even tried different power sockets, cables, tried different windows versions, different hdd ( have one old spare that works) i've literally tried everything that i could. The only thing i didn't tried is different components since i don't have access to any. Temperatures were always fine, never overheated; checked with bios, hw monitor, msi afterburned - and many more and always only one was installed at the time.

And now how i "fixed" it and what is the possible problem? So i recently started playing Dragon Quest XI and first 2 hours it was ok, no crashes. But then i've found a cutscene that always caused crash (for those familiar with the game, it's the one you get after you escape with Erik from prison a meet the dragon for the first time), then from there i again tried some things since i knew i can emulate it at that cutscene. Again reseated everything, tried one ram stick at the time, second hdd, monitor temps (everything fine, cpu 30C and gpu didn't went over 65C). Nothing worked so the last thing i tried was using msi afterburner - i've increased power and temp limit to max and undeclocked core clock and memory clock and i've got over the cutscene, tried it several times no crash. Since i found the problem i tried to single it out, next i've put power limit to default - fine, temp limit to default - fine, memory clock to default - fine. Then the moment i've put core clock to default it crashed in the cutscene like always, so next thing i tried was only reducing core clock, reduced it by 250 mhz and it worked, i've got over the cutscene fine, tried it multiple times - fine.
So now i know the problem is core clock, but i don't know why, is it gpu dying or psu can't handle it anymore? - I just want to know what can be the cause, i'll be using that pc for atleast 16 more months till i finish school or this pandemic gets better.

Thanks for reading.

PC-
CPU : AMD fx-8300 https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8300
GPU: MSI gtx 980 https://www.msi.com//Graphics-Card/GTX-980-GAMING-4G/Specification
RAM: 12 gb (3 x 4gb)
PSU: Cooler master rs 600 acab m2
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40#ov
http://www.gigabyte.cz/products/page/mb/ga-990fxa-ud3rev_40

mse21

Commendable
May 20, 2019
Never had bsod. The closest thing to crashing anything with any info bar on screen was when pubg crashed when it was in EA, but that's bcs the game was trash and had issues. I was kinda lucky in that regard.
When it crashed like i described, the only thing in event viewer ever was error - pc was unexpectedly shut down or unexpectedly lost power. And that was when i had to restart/hard reset.
I just want to know if it's gpu or psu problem, like is psu kinda dead/dying since it crashes when it's auto overclocking so psu takes more power but it can't maintain it? Or is gpu dying and when trying to auto overclocks it just can't maintain it? AND can it even be diagnosed without trying different gpu/psu.

mse21

Commendable
May 20, 2019
Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks Try this app and run it in the background when gaming. Then after gaming, check the app report for any report of driver, latency problems to see if there is a problem in that area before counting out your gpu.

I mean I literally described the issue, the fix and asked a 3 questions which is basically one since they contradicts each other and you keep asking and suggesting these nonsensical questions/causes. 1st you ask about hdd (which has nothing to do with that since i already said i tried different one) then you suggest SW for driver and latency problems, what does latency has to do with anything when it happens in SP games aswell? And driver issues?; when i tried different windows versions and hdd and had 0 problems with software/drivers in span of 6 years. Really looks like you didn't read in between the lines the original post since i know the problem and "fix" i just wanted to know the root of the problem, dying gpu or psu can't handle increasing voltage from auto overclocking. Nonetheless thank you for your input.

Mar 3, 2021
Hello.

First i'll explain what happened then what i tried and how i "fixed" it.

PC is self made, worked fine witho no problems from march 2015, i've added one stick of ram around 2016.
So, half year ago my PC started to crashing. It always crashed the same way and always while gaming, black screen, buzzing sound from headset and only way to fix it was hard reset or restart button. First game it happened in was BF 5 and then in others like Rust, CSGO, Apex legends, fallout 4, the outer worlds and maybe some i don't remember. It never happened in dota 2, fallout new vegas, payday 2, mutant year zero and again some i don't remember. It was never consistent, for example : sometimes it crashed after 30 minutes of rust and other times i played rust for whole day even week and it didn't crashed. Or i played whole month all mentioned games and it didn't crashed once and then next month it crashed like 4 times in hour.

What i tried. Heaven benchmark (sometimes it crashed and sometimes it didn't), Prime95, memtest (everything fine, memtest 3 times and each time for 15+ hours), used new thermal paste on cpu, gpu, cleaned everything from dust (even psu), reseated everything in pc, i've even tried different power sockets, cables, tried different windows versions, different hdd ( have one old spare that works) i've literally tried everything that i could. The only thing i didn't tried is different components since i don't have access to any. Temperatures were always fine, never overheated; checked with bios, hw monitor, msi afterburned - and many more and always only one was installed at the time.

And now how i "fixed" it and what is the possible problem? So i recently started playing Dragon Quest XI and first 2 hours it was ok, no crashes. But then i've found a cutscene that always caused crash (for those familiar with the game, it's the one you get after you escape with Erik from prison a meet the dragon for the first time), then from there i again tried some things since i knew i can emulate it at that cutscene. Again reseated everything, tried one ram stick at the time, second hdd, monitor temps (everything fine, cpu 30C and gpu didn't went over 65C). Nothing worked so the last thing i tried was using msi afterburner - i've increased power and temp limit to max and undeclocked core clock and memory clock and i've got over the cutscene, tried it several times no crash. Since i found the problem i tried to single it out, next i've put power limit to default - fine, temp limit to default - fine, memory clock to default - fine. Then the moment i've put core clock to default it crashed in the cutscene like always, so next thing i tried was only reducing core clock, reduced it by 250 mhz and it worked, i've got over the cutscene fine, tried it multiple times - fine.
So now i know the problem is core clock, but i don't know why, is it gpu dying or psu can't handle it anymore? - I just want to know what can be the cause, i'll be using that pc for atleast 16 more months till i finish school or this pandemic gets better.

Thanks for reading.

PC-
CPU : AMD fx-8300 https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8300
GPU: MSI gtx 980 https://www.msi.com//Graphics-Card/GTX-980-GAMING-4G/Specification
RAM: 12 gb (3 x 4gb)
PSU: Cooler master rs 600 acab m2
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40#ov
http://www.gigabyte.cz/products/page/mb/ga-990fxa-ud3rev_40
Had the same problem. Your solution worked! Thank you very much!!!