[SOLVED] PC freezes with random solid color when under GPU load

Ilmo Kurki

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
When I play almost any gpu-intensive game or work with complex meshes in Maxon C4D, my computer freezes with my main screen freezes showing just a random solid color while my two other screens just freeze as they are (my main screen is connected to my gpu and the two other are connected to my cpu's integrated graphics). Sometimes the freezing occurs almost immediately when for example loading into a map, and sometimes I can play for hours before the freeze.

Fixes I have tried:
-Disconnecting the other displays
-Checked that all wires are securely attached inside the case
-Using a different OS (I use windows 10 and tried Linux Mint)

I also tried using only my cpu's integrate graphics. The freezing didn't seem to occur then.

It would seem like the problem is with my GPU, but is it possible that the reason is in some other component like CPU or motherboard?

Specs:
-Intel i5-6600 3,3GHz
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming
-MSI H170A PC Mate (Motherboard)
-4x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 4Gb
-EVGA 750W SuperNOVA 750 G2L

Solution
When you tried just the APU did the resolution lower? The computer may be struggling with 3 screens at a higher resolution especilly if quite demanding such as a game and high quality video. While not quite the same My PC has a bit of a fit when i run Netflix and a Game and sometimes freezes either the game or Netflix.

Also might be worth trying to update all drivers including BIOS.

Not very useful information but if it is Physical such as Abstuurz has suggested then it is at least worth a try before replacing :).

Usually when your Screen is freezing and you get like random color's or diagonal green or violett angles/lines on your monitor or similiar effects, its mostly something wrong with your vram, of course its only...

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
When you tried just the APU did the resolution lower? The computer may be struggling with 3 screens at a higher resolution especilly if quite demanding such as a game and high quality video. While not quite the same My PC has a bit of a fit when i run Netflix and a Game and sometimes freezes either the game or Netflix.

Not very useful information but if it is Physical such as Abstuurz has suggested then it is at least worth a try before replacing :).

Ilmo Kurki

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

When I tried the APU I only had my main screen connected, so no problems with resolution but performance was naturally affected.

I'll update the drivers and test again.

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019

Usually when your Screen is freezing and you get like random color's or diagonal green or violett angles/lines on your monitor or similiar effects, its mostly something wrong with your vram, of course its only suggested but as he said he tried his APU which worked.

First thing i would recommend is to download a stable version of your needed graphic drivers then deinstall all graphic drivers in safe mode with DDU or similiar programs.
after deinstall start in normal mode but WITHOUT any internet connection, unplug your lan for this part, and try to install the stable driver.

work around it, dont search for the error just pinpoint it.

Reactions: 010010
Solution

Ilmo Kurki

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Usually when your Screen is freezing and you get like random color's or diagonal green or violett angles/lines on your monitor or similiar effects, its mostly something wrong with your vram, of course its only suggested but as he said he tried his APU which worked.

First thing i would recommend is to download a stable version of your needed graphic drivers then deinstall all graphic drivers in safe mode with DDU or similiar programs.
after deinstall start in normal mode but WITHOUT any internet connection, unplug your lan for this part, and try to install the stable driver.

work around it, dont search for the error just pinpoint it.

Tried removing and reinstalling graphics drivers (old and new) and updating bios, issue still remains.
I've been thinking about upgrading my pc so I think I'll just buy a new gpu.