[SOLVED] Pc freezing constantly

Feb 24, 2019
Hello all,

I have a pc with the following specs:
-mobo: asrock 990fx extreme 3
-cpu: amd fx8350
-gpu: amd r9 280x toxic (3GB)
-ram: 2x4GB + 2x2GB DDR3 (kingston 1333mhz)
-psu: evga 750w GQ gold 80+ (bought it 2 months ago as a replacement to my previous dead psu)
-hard drives: 3 hdd + 1 ssd (os is in kingston 256GB ssd)

I am having a very strange issue the past days. My pc constantly freezes, no workaround, it just needs restart. The freeze happens randomly, from the desktop, during gaming, windows loading screen, safe mode, even while in BIOS.
My pc was struggling with some small hangings during browsing, after some seconds it came back to normal (cursor was moving normally, the rest was frozen). 2 weeks ago i got a 5 beep warning from my mobo when i tried to turn it on, i checked and pushed my gpu firmly in the socket, and the pc turned on normally. When i was getting this warning i did the same thing and everything run smoothly. 4 days ago the first major freeze happened while browsing, i restarted the pc and the freeze came back after some minutes, i tried restaring again and the pc wasn't getting any signal (although fans were spinning normally). So my troubleshooting started. Things i tried so far:
-Did mem check and manually checked all the ram sticks one by one in every slots, even tried other ramstick from another pc. Freeze happened every sinvle time, sometimes during windows logo, others during browsing after some minutes
-checked other gpu (working) , also checked the second pci-e slot with both the cards. I also managed to clean install the gpu drivers using DDU (i had 19.2.1, updated to 19.2.2)
-Removed the cpu, checked it, reinstalled it.
-removed all hard drives, tried only the ssd, then connected one by one the rest of the hard drives (each one sperately), and tried to boot from usb to install windows 10, got freeze.
-checked volts, seemed ok, got freeze in BIOS
-All temperatures were under 30 celcius.
-cleaned any dust
-visually checked the mobo's transistors etc.

While i am writing this to you i am still trying different stuff.
I noticed that during a freeze my mouse and keyboard lights turned off. So in my next restart i tried to unplug every usb device from behind the pc, and plugged the mouse and keyboard in the front panel.. It's being 20 minutes now without problems, i had a long issue-less run before too, so i don't want to keep my hopes up. Can the usb ports or devices cause so much trouble?
Please let me know what you think about all that.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the extra long post!

Solution
UPDATE - ISSUE SOLVED

The problem was the motherboard.
I ordered a new one from amazon, (GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P), plugged everything on it and it runs smoothly for the past 2 hours...
I will claim the warranty for my old motherboard.

Thanks for any help.
Feb 24, 2019
When did you buy the Kingston SSD ?
Download the official "Kingston SSD Manager" and check for firmware and update it.
Thanks for the fast reply, firmware is updated, and the freezing also happened with just the western digital hdd during windows installation.
Btw the pc still runs with the mouse and keyboard plugged in the front panel. Usually it would have frozen already, but i wonder if bad usb (device or port) will cause freezing in bios and in general.

[EDIT]
PC froze again, i really don't know what else to check..

Last edited:

Nanox7

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Thanks for the fast reply, firmware is updated, and the freezing also happened with just the western digital hdd during windows installation.
Btw the pc still runs with the mouse and keyboard plugged in the front panel. Usually it would have frozen already, but i wonder if bad usb (device or port) will cause freezing in bios and in general.

[EDIT]
PC froze again, i really don't know what else to check..

I have that problem and i fixed with new system windows.

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019

No need for thanking :p Just trying to help anywhere i can. ;)
Do you have another PSU maybe to try it?
Maybe faulty Rams, remove one ram and try again, switch slots/rams.
Reset Bios.
Did you recently did any updates?

Feb 24, 2019
No need for thanking :p Just trying to help anywhere i can. ;)
Do you have another PSU maybe to try it?
Maybe faulty Rams, remove one ram and try again, switch slots/rams.
Reset Bios.
Did you recently did any updates?
Yeah tried all that already, also reseted bios, i don't have another psu but it is 2 months old and the voltage seems alright..

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
I was thinking for a clean format, but it froze on another hdd too while i was trying to install new windows (via bootable usb).

Nah it won't be the OS because you're getting freezes in Bios too.

Do you can get another CPU which would fit in that socket?
Try to downclock the Ram a bit and undervolt the CPU a little bit. When that doesn't work, change Ram speed on default again and put a little bit more vcore, would recommend a offset with 0.0500v

Feb 24, 2019
Nah it won't be the OS because you're getting freezes in Bios too.

Do you can get another CPU which would fit in that socket?
Try to downclock the Ram a bit and undervolt the CPU a little bit. When that doesn't work, change Ram speed on default again and put a little bit more vcore, would recommend a offset with 0.0500v
I can't get another cpu atm, and now i'm trying to restart my PC but there is no signal on the screen.. I will go and replace my psu since it is still under the warranty. Any other ideas would be awesome :D

Feb 24, 2019
I tried to clear some cache and temp files, got a freezs, restarted and the pc wouldn't recognize any of my hard drives, so i went straight to BIOS. i tried several restarts, still no hard drives, and i also got a freeze in the BIOS too. After turning off my psu for a minute, i booted up and the pc recognized the hard drives and logged into windows, just to face another freeze..

Feb 24, 2019
Just noticed another thing.. During my latest freezes, i heard my lamtech vr1500 (voltage stabilizer) that i have my pc connected too, do a clicking noise, the same noise i hear when there is bad weather outside.. I don't know if that has anything to do with my situation.. I'll have to go replace my psu tomorrow and check again..

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Just try to downclock the Ram and switch them by using one in slot B2 as an example.

-ram: 2x4GB + 2x2GB DDR3 (kingston 1333mhz)

Since you're using different rams :p
Put 1x4GB in slot B2, see if this works, when it freezes put it in A2, again with A1 and B1.
Still freezes?
Do the same with the other 4GB Ram.

When that doesn't help at all, maybe try to get another PSU for testing maybe.

Just noticed another thing.. During my latest freezes, i heard my lamtech vr1500 (voltage stabilizer) that i have my pc connected too, do a clicking noise, the same noise i hear when there is bad weather outside.. I don't know if that has anything to do with my situation.. I'll have to go replace my psu tomorrow and check again..

Oh okay, but your PSU is like 2 months old, just claim your warranty, no need for cashing more :p

Feb 24, 2019
Just try to downclock the Ram and switch them by using one in slot B2 as an example.

Since you're using different rams :p
Put 1x4GB in slot B2, see if this works, when it freezes put it in A2, again with A1 and B1.
Still freezes?
Do the same with the other 4GB Ram.

When that doesn't help at all, maybe try to get another PSU for testing maybe.

Oh okay, but your PSU is like 2 months old, just claim your warranty, no need for cashing more :p
I manually did the tests with the ram, not with changing the voltages though, as i get freezes even more now on BIOS..
As for my psu, yes it's under warranty so i'll just get a replacement..

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
I manually did the tests with the ram, not with changing the voltages though, as i get freezes even more now on BIOS..
As for my psu, yes it's under warranty so i'll just get a replacement..

Okay, well, just wait for the replacement and see if that already solves that problem.
Just leave me a reply here when it works or not. :)

Feb 24, 2019
Okay, well, just wait for the replacement and see if that already solves that problem.
Just leave me a reply here when it works or not. :)
I will update this post for sure, no matter the outcome. In the meantime if any other possible cause of the problem comes to anyone's mind, please feel free to write it. I have listed all my troubleshooting in the original post. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Abstuurz
Feb 24, 2019
Hey guys!

Is there any way to check if my motherboard is failing? I mean if the psu was the issue would the pc be able to last without freezing for a variety between 2 minutes and 30 minutes, or it would freeze im the first couple of minutes everytime?
I mean when the pc is not freezed it runs perfectly, i can play games and it can freeze after i quited the game, or it can freeze during browsing... I have eliminated that the freezing is caused by GPU, HDD, RAM (sticks). I haven't checked the psu (2 months old), cpu (i only re-installed it as i don't have a spare one to try on) and the motherboard... How can i check if it is either one of them? Which is the most likely to be the cause for such freezing (freezing in desktop, on windows logo, in bios, during fresh windows installation)?

Feb 24, 2019
Hello all,

I have an update, i got my cpu to another compatible system and it works flawlessly. So the only things i haven't tried yet is the motherboard and the psu.. Both of them are in warranty, but it's easier for me to try and replace the psu first. I don't know if it worth a chance to change the psu as i don't know how possible it is to get freezing problems with faulty psu (2 months old).
Please let me know if it is possible to get serious freeze problems with faulty psu on random times.

Feb 24, 2019
UPDATE - ISSUE SOLVED

The problem was the motherboard.
I ordered a new one from amazon, (GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P), plugged everything on it and it runs smoothly for the past 2 hours...
I will claim the warranty for my old motherboard.

Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Abstuurz
Solution