ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Hi, I had this exact problem a while back and it was resolved through getting a new SSD. However, I never knew the source of my problem. Basically my PC would just freeze on idle and would have to be hard reset in order to be used. It would also have weird extreme lag spikes occasionally while gaming and would disconnect inputs such as my mic, etc...

The problem went away, but now I think I have identified the root of the problem since it has come back.

I'm not sure how to convey this, but I downloaded the game Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War from the battle.net app, and right after playing the issues of in game freezing and disconnecting inputs reoccurred. Then shortly after when I would leave my PC for a few moments, I noticed the freezing has reoccurred. I do not know what is exactly causing this, but even after deleting the game and battle net software, the problem still persists. On top of this, when I think back about the problem with my previous PC build, it is around the same time that I started playing Black Ops Cold War as well. I am certain that this software has something to do with the crashing and freezing, I just don't know what to do about it.

I deleted battle net and the game off of my computer, so i wonder if there is a driver or something that installs along with the game causing the problem. Last time i remember this being such a headache that the new C Drive completely frsh was the only fix

Just wondering if anyone has any new ideas on how to fix this, and please don't hesitate to ask questions or look towards my old long thread that detailed all of the previous troubleshooting.

Thank you.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

how full is the ssd?
Gigabyte 2070 Super
Intel i5 12600K
32 GB G Skill Ripjaws
Samsung 980 1 TB SSD
WD Blue 1 TB HDD
Adata su800 1TB SSD
EVGA 850 B5
aa.png

Jun 23, 2023
Hi, I have the same problem with my new pc. I got my pc about 4 months ago and It freezes randomly on idle. It is okay when a game is open and I leave the pc for a long time but when like chrome is open and I leave the pc for a short time it freezes and I have to force restart it.
I checked my drives using crystaldisc app and my hdd drive has 196 pending sectors.
I wonder if it has something to do with the freezing issue.
I also experience errors while in loading screen of games like genshin impact frequently and it says the program has stopped working. It is the same with other games.

robbiew114

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
Yep - I'm in the same boat as you guys. Brand new PC bought in April but freezes when it's left alone. I've played a good 100 or so hours of games and not frozen once, but once I leave it idle guarantee it'll freeze.

I sent the PC back to Scan Computers and they couldn't even replicate it, despite leaving it to idle for 48 hours, however since I got the PC back it's happened 3/4 times. Only differentiator could be my Monitor but that surely wouldn't freeze the system?

Jun 23, 2023
Hi, I have the same problem with my new pc. I got my pc about 4 months ago and It freezes randomly on idle. It is okay when a game is open and I leave the pc for a long time but when like chrome is open and I leave the pc for a short time it freezes and I have to force restart it.
I checked my drives using crystaldisc app and my hdd drive has 196 pending sectors.
I wonder if it has something to do with the freezing issue.
I also experience errors while in loading screen of games like genshin impact frequently and it says the program has stopped working. It is the same with other games.
fortunately my pc doesn't freeze anymore, but I'm not sure what fixed the issue. I did the check disk in cmd and also uninstalled some programs that I thought might be the cause since I installed them.
But I still get errors in games quite frequently so I have to do the chkdsk once in a while, so I guess the cause is probably the drive.