PC Gamer gives F.E.A.R a 92%

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

OldDog wrote:

> Sorry, I spent 6 years and 6 months at sea defending "free speech". And
> as soon as we ban one person, its too easy to ban 2, 4, 8, 32,
> 64000000000.... While I don't agree with a lot of the verbiage that I
> see in this newsgroup, is still their right to post what they want to.
>
> So go ahead and add me to your killfile list.
>
> Man, 90 days in the cooler with SK. That's cold!

Killfiling has nothing to do with free speech. You aren't stopping the
plonked from speaking, you just don't want to listen to them. No one has the
right to be heard.

nostromo

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>, Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:49:54
+0200, Anno Domini:

>On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:02:10 +1000, Nostromo wrote:
>
>> Once even the regs realise noone else is reading or responding to their
>> posts because of ShitEATER, the STN ratio here should pickup pretty quick ;)
>
>This is your second post in this thread, so that's your second strike. ;)
>
>M.

He, he - but not directly to SK which is the point! And he didn't start this
thread ;-p

Or do we also extend it to replies to repliers to repliers to ... ummm...
:-/

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thus spake JAB <nochance@nohope.com>, Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:52:50 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>To get back on topic - the demo for F.E.A.R is bloody good just don't
>know whether the whole game can keep up the atmoshpere. Haven't been
>this 'scared' playing a game since HL1. Doom3 was far to predictable but
>I've got high hopes for this one.

Must...get...demo...soon.

--

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:52:50 GMT, JAB <nochance@nohope.com> wrote:

>To get back on topic - the demo for F.E.A.R is bloody good just don't
>know whether the whole game can keep up the atmoshpere. Haven't been
>this 'scared' playing a game since HL1. Doom3 was far to predictable but
>I've got high hopes for this one.

Too bad the demo seems quirky and refuses to work correctly for many
people. I'm with the bunch who get stuck behind the car and the
trashbin at the very beginning of the demo. Oh and the sounds don't
work either due to audio codec conflicts.

shawk

"riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:52:50 GMT, JAB <nochance@nohope.com> wrote:
>
>>To get back on topic - the demo for F.E.A.R is bloody good just don't
>>know whether the whole game can keep up the atmoshpere. Haven't been
>>this 'scared' playing a game since HL1. Doom3 was far to predictable but
>>I've got high hopes for this one.
>
> Too bad the demo seems quirky and refuses to work correctly for many
> people. I'm with the bunch who get stuck behind the car and the
> trashbin at the very beginning of the demo. Oh and the sounds don't
> work either due to audio codec conflicts.

That's a shame - it's not bad at all. I liked the dust effects thrown up by
shooting chunks out of walls - it really is a case of crouching and letting
the dust settle before you can see where the bad guys are or if they're
still alive and also crouching waiting for you. On the other hand once
you've shot a few holes in the plaster you can't shoot any more - walls must
be set up to show so many hits and no matter how much you shoot the wall -
no more holes. Minor point but detracted from the (initially added)
realism. AI seems OK - played it through a few times and the opposition has
reacted differently (and pretty intelligently) each time. Demo is very
short though - can't tell from that whether the game will be worth it or
not. I'll probably give it the benefit of doubt and buy it..

Have you tried something like codec sniper to check whether any of your
codecs are broken? Dont have a link sorry.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:21:14 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Have you tried something like codec sniper to check whether any of your
>codecs are broken? Dont have a link sorry.

I already know what the problem is: the game sound system does not
work if you have certain audio codecs installed that come with
DIVX/XVID codec packs. The sound will not work until you uninstall
them. I think NOLF2 had the same problem.

shawk

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:21:14 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
>>Have you tried something like codec sniper to check whether any of your
>>codecs are broken? Dont have a link sorry.
>
> I already know what the problem is: the game sound system does not
> work if you have certain audio codecs installed that come with
> DIVX/XVID codec packs. The sound will not work until you uninstall
> them. I think NOLF2 had the same problem.

Interesting. Any particular pack? Using an old pack here with no probs
(klcodec224f). Perhaps a change of pack?

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
Has anyone actually looked at those bullet holes on the walls??? It looks like 2D art, almost like someone yakked on the wall. The game is good, but the levels are repetitive. And i can only shoot the same damn looking enemy only so many times before the game becomes a waste of space.

This game isn't comparable to BF2, completely different, and yet definitely not as good. 8)