[SOLVED] Pc hard-reseting while playing games or doing other demanding tasks

Mar 30, 2020
Recently my pc has been restarting at random while playing games, I researched but i only found heating related problems, wich is not my case because both my gpu and cpu mantain a 60C - 70C at maximum while playing. My opinion is that is a faulty PSU or not an overheating component but a overheating capacitor caused by a air flow restriction. Any help will be welcome.

Edit:
CPU: I7-6700K
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
(No overclock in any component)

Last edited:
Solution
Very interesting! So we've at least narrowed it down to the GPU.

It looks like that PSU comes with x2-6 Pin PCI-E connectors. Can't tell if it's 2 individual lines or if they are split at the end. Try using the other 6 pin connector and run it again. If it crashes, try moving the GPU down to the other PCI-E Slot and run the test again. Let us know the results.
Can you look at the Event Viewer logs? Navigate to Windows Logs->System.
Look for Red/Critical errors matching up to the time around your computer did the reset and post them here if you see any.

If your unfamiliar with Event Viewer you can find an overview here
https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/ht...ndows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

How long have you had your components for? How long have you had that install of Windows for?

Mar 30, 2020
Can you look at the Event Viewer logs? Navigate to Windows Logs->System.
Look for Red/Critical errors matching up to the time around your computer did the reset and post them here if you see any.

If your unfamiliar with Event Viewer you can find an overview here
https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/ht...ndows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

How long have you had your components for? How long have you had that install of Windows for?
I think i found it : 18:55:51 "the system has rebooted without first cleanly shutting-down. It can be caused if the system stops responding, crashes, or loses power unexpectedly" Event i.d.: 41; Level: Critical; Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
PSU: 4~5 years old
CPU 3 years old
GPU 3 years old
RAM: 3 years old
Mainboard: 3 years old
Windows: 3 years old

If you look under the Windows Logs->Application , Can you see anything Critical around the same time?

Can you download a stress test application such as Prime95 for the CPU and MSI Kombuster for the GPU. Anything will do, those are the first that came to my mind.

I'm suggesting testing them separately at first. You said it's "at random" when playing games. I'm wondering if it's loading something intensive maybe. Stress test is a good start to see where were at. Keep an eye on those temps though.

What CPU Cooler are you using?

RAM: 2X 8GB Hyperx fury DDR4 2133Mhz
PSU: EVGA 500w 80Plus White
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Krait Gaming (BIOS at latest update)

PSU is one of the lower-end models from EVGA. It may not be the reason for your crashes but it definitely is one of the better starting points. Test with another wall outlet, or swap your PSU with a more reliable unit from a friend. A few examples of quality PSU's are Seasonic models or Corsair's RMx/TXM series.

Mar 30, 2020
If you look under the Windows Logs->Application , Can you see anything Critical around the same time?

Can you download a stress test application such as Prime95 for the CPU and MSI Kombuster for the GPU. Anything will do, those are the first that came to my mind.

I'm suggesting testing them separately at first. You said it's "at random" when playing games. I'm wondering if it's loading something intensive maybe. Stress test is a good start to see where were at. Keep an eye on those temps though.

What CPU Cooler are you using?
No, no other errors related to the issue. I'm using a cooler master masterliquid pro 120
CPU stress test: 56C @100% after 1 hour, nothing happened. (CPU-Z)
GPU stress test: 70C @99% after 5min, the computer shut down. (MSI Kombustor)

It looks like that PSU comes with x2-6 Pin PCI-E connectors. Can't tell if it's 2 individual lines or if they are split at the end. Try using the other 6 pin connector and run it again. If it crashes, try moving the GPU down to the other PCI-E Slot and run the test again. Let us know the results.

Solution
Mar 30, 2020

Ok, so i tried switching pci-e connectors and at first noting changed, still crashed, then i switched from pci x16 to x8 and i ran the stress test and after 1h 30min it didn't crashed, then i switched back to x16 just to make sure it was this lane that was damaged and i ran the stress test again for 1h 5min and it didn't crashed at all! Thanks for the help, if the problem persists i know what to do.

Reactions: ArchitSahu

TRENDING THREADS