Question PC having a weird behaviour. Games fps are lower than expected in all games and dropping

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Hi. I don't know what's happening with my pc but everytime I play a game its FPS are lower than my rig can handle (FX6300; 16 GB DDR3; GTX960 2GB) like, I load a game for example r6 siege and the first round is about 60 fps on low then the next round the frames drop drastically to 20 fps, I really don't know what's happening, I changed my cpu's thermal paste not that long ago and was getting 40-50C when running games and my gpu clearly handles the games. Another occurrence was with skyrim and wow where if i alt tabbed out and in the fps would constantly stay low. The newest occurrence was with apex legends where the low fps happen in the dropship where the whole map can be seen, mind you I also get around 40-50 fps in the dropship sometimes.

I ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes and avast to wipe anything that can slow the computer but nothing was found.

GPU Drivers are updated

My specs are:

AMD FX6300 3.5GHZ
16GB DDR3 RAM
GTX960 MSI 2GB
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Asrock 970 extrme3 r2.0

Last edited:

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Hi. Before i start I want to tell that i already had problems with my gpu before where it was deadlocking and as a result of my frustration I hit the side of the computer where my motherboard is sitting.

I've been getting this problem for quite a long time now, games keep on dropping frames without explanation like skyrim, rainbow six siege and most recently Apex Legends, it's not that it's constant but it is very frequent and makes my gameplay basically unenjoyable 90% of the time and i don't know what's causing this, a friend of mine said it might be the gpu since i already had issues with that.

An example of the problem is where In skyrim I alt tab out and in and the frames drop to 6-14 fps from 60. Another one is with rainbow six siege where I load a match and play a round fine and the next round the frames basically lock to 20 or worse. Lastly with Apex legends, at the start of the match in the dropship i notice the game's framerate being extremely low but sometimes the framerate doesn't change at all. these occurrences don't happen everytime, there're times where I can play 10 rounds, even hours without having an issue like this. I did every troubleshooting method the support teams have given me but still isn't enough so any help or guess regarding this problem would be thankful.

GPU Drivers are updated

My specs are:

AMD FX6300 3.5GHZ
16GB DDR3 RAM
GTX960 MSI 2GB
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Asrock 970 extrme3 r2.0

Since smacking your PC case hard on the side the MB is mounted, have you taken a close look inside to check for anything being dislodged or cracked? Check to see if the GPU is still fully seated in the Pci slot with the locking arm clicked in place. Check to see if the GPU fans are still spinning while the PC is on, and whether the Heatsink and fans are loaded with dust. Also check the MB PCB closely for any fine cracks.

I would also run Afterburner and set the CPU and GPU usage to show onscreen, as well as their temps. Check those stats WHILE gaming under heavy load.

Feb 14, 2019
I agree wit Frag, check your GPU and make sure all connections are tight and the fans are spinning. I would also make sure to use Afterburner as he said, to check your CPU and GPU while gaming to see if there are any possible bottlenecks or if you have some cores parked. There are many unparking options for sowftare you an get for freem and if this is the problem (like it was for me last week) try unparking your cores and it should increase performance :)

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
GPU is fully seated, Fans are spinning gpu temp is 50-60c and nothing looked cracked since i only hit the tower with just a slap on that side, as for core parking, they are

Feb 14, 2019
Great :) Now, when you checked your PC after hitting it, did you make sure the CPU is also tight and the lever is pushed all the way down? I would also check the thermal paste (if you applied some) on the processor and re-apply it if needed.

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
thermal paste was changed in july, after that i've been getting 36 degrees idle and 50-60 max

EDIT: i just tried to play r6 siege and when i clicked in and out of the main menu the frames started dropping ...

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
yeah, they are. the gpu has a feature where its fans idle when not on load and like i said, i tried to play siege just now and by clicking in and out of the main menu the framerate simply dropped

Feb 15, 2019
I had been suffering from bad FPS in many games for awhile now and just yesterday I came to the realisation that my GPU wasn't in the top PCI-E x16 slot, as the other PCI-E slot on my motherboard and yours it seems limits the lane to only x4 and not x16. If your GPU isn't in this top slot I suggest doing so to see if it makes a difference to your FPS at all.

I went from getting 30-50fps in apex to a constant 144+ fps to match my 144Hz monitors refresh rate.

Let me know if this helps.

Feb 15, 2019
All I'm saying is only the top runs at x16 the websites tells you that. And if it's not in the top slot it should be.

This is what the website says: 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2 @ x16 mode; PCIE4 @ x4 mode)

So the first PCI-e is x16 and the second is only a x4.

I'm only trying to help you out my game could be playing at 140 frames before then I get spikes of 30-50 FPS when I switched to my top slot it sorted out all my issues.

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
the thing is, whether it's the top slot or the bottom slot the stability is still the same so slotting can't be the problem. my best choice atm seems to be getting a new pc

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Hi. Recently, I've been getting low fps on a pretty much high end pc for this game Elsword and i just found out that the game wasn't using my GPU at all, its clock speed was as if the gpu was with no game running.

Many players have been having this issue but the post I found (https://elswordforum.koggames.com/archive/index.php?t-120456.html) seems to be the most plausible justification for the low performance I and other players have been getting but the problem i now face is, How do I make it so my gpu runs the game as if it was running any high demanding game like apex ?

Specs are:
FX6300 3.5ghz
GTX 960 2GB OC edition MSI
16 GB ram
Asrock 970 extreme3 r2.0

I'd appreciate any possible bit of help since it'd also help other players facing the same lousy problem
unknown.png

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Corsair VS650W 80+ bronze, 1920x1080 and temperatures are fine, I had the thermal paste swapped not that long ago. Also reseated the gpu to the top slot and it isnt having as heavy drops as before but it still does. Also that Elsword post was meant to be separate, I don't know how it got merged into this one and its issues are completely different by the way, i just checked on their official forums it's bad optimization