Question PC keeps rebooting when trying to play certain games or during those games

Jun 25, 2019
I recently installed a new graphics card on my old Acer predator pre buit pc that had a geforce gtx 745 in it that I replaced with a geforce gtx 1070.
In some games I play such as: hitman 2 and sekiro they work just fine.
when i try to play plague tale: innocence, it reboots every time I try to boot up the game.

my specs (from speccy)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4440 @ 3.10GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
10.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Acer Predator G3-605 (LGA1150)
Graphics
DELL E2414H (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVIDIA)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )
Optical Drives
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0

I know next to nothing when it comes to pcs so forgive me if i havent provided enough information.

Jun 25, 2019
When you installed the card, did you do anything regarding the drivers? Even though they're both Nvidia cards the architecture changes between generations and a full uninstall and re-install of graphics drivers is recommended.
i had it installed at a pc repair shop near me so I have no idea what he might have done. he also added 2gb more of ram if thats relevant at all.

Jun 25, 2019
I think it worked. i got farther than the loading screen which i couldnt get to before so im hopefull it worked. will post on this thread if it reboots again, but thank you schiztech

Jun 25, 2019
OK. If you're comfortable following these directions to go into the case, try using the original RAM only. It might not be that the new memory is bad but mixing RAM of different specs can sometimes cause instability. Make sure the PC is off and unplugged from power before proceeding. I'd guess the PC originally had two 4 GB sticks so whatever is not that (one 2GB or two ones) keep out and retest. There are clips on either end of the sticks that can be pushed back to open the slots.

Jun 25, 2019
OK. If you're comfortable following these directions to go into the case, try using the original RAM only. It might not be that the new memory is bad but mixing RAM of different specs can sometimes cause instability. Make sure the PC is off and unplugged from power before proceeding. I'd guess the PC originally had two 4 GB sticks so whatever is not that (one 2GB or two ones) keep out and retest. There are clips on either end of the sticks that can be pushed back to open the slots.
ill try it

Jun 25, 2019
happened again. took out the 2gb stick and tested it and it rebooted on my 2nd test.

What's the rough timeline here? How long have you played the problem game - was this from before the upgrades and the problems started immediately after? What are the reboots like? Does it go through a shutdown process, does a blue screen pop up before it shuts off or does it just sort of snap off? If there is an error code of any sort, can you post it?

Jun 25, 2019
What's the rough timeline here? How long have you played the problem game - was this from before the upgrades and the problems started immediately after? What are the reboots like? Does it go through a shutdown process, does a blue screen pop up before it shuts off or does it just sort of snap off? If there is an error code of any sort, can you post it?
I got the game after the upgrade, i have been able to play it for a couple of hours but it always eventually reboots my computer, the reboot is that my computer just completely shuts off without warning or anything out of the ordinary happening before and then turning back on. if theres an error code somewhere i dont know where it is, if you could tell me where to find it I will post it.

PS. I apologize, i think I might have misled. plague tale isnt the only game this happenes during. it happened to me during a loading screen in total war warhammer 2, and Squad. however they always have happened so far during loading screens. never during actual gameplay.

Well that's not an especially bad unit (particularly as OEM supplies go) and 500W should be enough to power the new card (basic non-gaming Dell or whatever random dekstops typically include a bare-bones 300-ish watt supply). Still, a 1070 is significantly more power hungry than the old 745 and the symptoms are consistent with power issues. If there's any way you can test with a different PSU (gaming, at least the same wattage) that would be worth a try.

Jun 25, 2019
Well that's not an especially bad unit (particularly as OEM supplies go) and 500W should be enough to power the new card (basic non-gaming Dell or whatever random dekstops typically include a bare-bones 300-ish watt supply). Still, a 1070 is significantly more power hungry than the old 745 and the symptoms are consistent with power issues. If there's any way you can test with a different PSU (gaming, at least the same wattage) that would be worth a try.
i would have to buy a new one then as I have no spare psu's lying around. but if your confident it might be a power issue then ill try and buy a better one.

TRENDING THREADS