[SOLVED] PC keeps restarting when playing any game [Windows 10]

Oct 4, 2019
Hey guys so I just recently built my own pc. im a noob so I did what I could to install drivers and windows 10 upon playing a couple of games my monitor would just go blank and i can see my pc shut and turn on again - and back to my home screen. Can anyone please help me? ive went into event viewer on windows and seen some error but I dont know exactly what they mean, should i take my pc to a computer shop pls help thank you!

p.s its been happening for a couple of days and im going crazy lol

specs:
z390 gigabyte ud mb
corsair 16 gb ram
600 w evga PSU
rtx 2060 gaming z gpu
intel i5 9600k
cooler master 212 cpu fan
Windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
yes, there are programs that can automatically download drivers for you and check if they are updated / compatible. just search them online .
okay thank you ill give it a shot, ill update as soon as im done thanks!
Just for the record, I'd avoid any driver updater softwares like the plague. They have a notorious habit of installing incorrect or outright inappropriate drivers. Myself and a few others on here help with BSOD posts and quite often driver updater software can be behind it.

Just stick to downloading straight from the manufacturers website and if you have installed a driver updater software, personally I'd uninstall it and not use it. Fortunate thing is Driver Booster, whilst still just as bad, does usually...
Oct 4, 2019
my pc keeps crashing when playing any game. screen will go dark and pc will turn off and then back on. could this be a psu issue?

specs gigabyte ud mb / corsair 16 gb ram/cw hdd 1tb / ssd sandisk 1 tb/ cooler master cpu fan 212 / intel i5 9600k unlocked/ psu 600 w evga / gpu rtx 2060 gaming z

can anyone please help i just want to play my games lol i performed a memtest86 also cpu and gpu temps are good / all drivers are working properly and are updated. i did go on event viewer and seen some error messages but unfortunately i have no clue as to what they mean. pls help gamer alert

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The errors in event viewer are likely unrelated or a typically Event 41 error if you are encountering shutdowns.
- Firstly see this guide here http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html to ensure that what you are experiencing isn't a stop error (BSOD) instead of a random shutdown.

psu 600 w evga
If this is a generic unrated EVGA PSU, then it is poor quality, so could well be a culprit, either way even if it isn't the cause (which it likely could be), you will likely want to replace it.

• What temperatures are you reaching exactly on CPU and GPU MAX?
  • Do you have latest drivers and BIOS installed?
  • Are you running any overclock or XMP?

In reality it's going to go down to your GPU or PSU once the above have been eliminated. Does it only ever happen in game?

Oct 4, 2019
temp while idle around 48c during game the most ive seen is 70c gpu same. also, all drivers and bios updated and i did xmp to 3000mhz- problem was happening even before that too. im assuming power supply. i was thinking of buying a corsair cx750 and test it out . what do u think? thanks btw!

Oct 4, 2019
The errors in event viewer are likely unrelated or a typically Event 41 error if you are encountering shutdowns.
- Firstly see this guide here http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html to ensure that what you are experiencing isn't a stop error (BSOD) instead of a random shutdown.

If this is a generic unrated EVGA PSU, then it is poor quality, so could well be a culprit, either way even if it isn't the cause (which it likely could be), you will likely want to replace it.

• What temperatures are you reaching exactly on CPU and GPU MAX?
  • Do you have latest drivers and BIOS installed?
  • Are you running any overclock or XMP?
In reality it's going to go down to your GPU or PSU once the above have been eliminated. Does it only ever happen in game?

temp while idle around 48c during game the most ive seen is 70c gpu same. also, all drivers and bios updated and i did xmp to 3000mhz- problem was happening even before that too. im assuming power supply. i was thinking of buying a corsair cx750 and test it out . what do u think? thanks btw!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's 200W more than you need, so if you're buying it new, just buy a 550W for example. Worst case a 650W if you want drastically more headroom.
CX is the most budget friendly good PSU you can get, there are better, but it's a solid PSU for the price.

Sep 10, 2019
Damn bro I've got the exact same problem I don't know what to do. At first glance I'm thinking its a PSU problem however from at I've heard it can be the CPU as well as it gets too warm. I'm a noob as well however I think you should check your temps and see if everything its right or if the temps are too high. Also check if your mobo capacitors aren't covered by something like a cooler because this can cause shut downs and restarts.
Try using another PSU maybe the one you have right know its faulty. In my case i bench marked everything and nothing crashed,also the temps were gooooood so in my case it might be the psu. Wish u luck when i will have the possibility i will buy a much better psu and i will contact you and tell you if my problem get fixed. See you and sorry for my bad English i'm not a native english speaker. :)

Oct 4, 2019
Damn bro I've got the exact same problem I don't know what to do. At first glance I'm thinking its a PSU problem however from at I've heard it can be the CPU as well as it gets too warm. I'm a noob as well however I think you should check your temps and see if everything its right or if the temps are too high. Also check if your mobo capacitors aren't covered by something like a cooler because this can cause shut downs and restarts.
Try using another PSU maybe the one you have right know its faulty. In my case i bench marked everything and nothing crashed,also the temps were gooooood so in my case it might be the psu. Wish u luck when i will have the possibility i will buy a much better psu and i will contact you and tell you if my problem get fixed. See you and sorry for my bad English i'm not a native english speaker. :)
Hey Alex so I recently replaced my psu and my cpu cooler for good measures and just now my pc crashed and restarted again, I give up lol too much money being spent on this piece of crap. thank you tho and good luck!

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
does your pc only crash while gaming? what cpu cooler did you get? also if your casing doesn't have good ventilation then changing cpu cooler might not be a good option. your pc parts are good so it's not a problem with them. I guess you should try reinstalling everything from scratch. another thing, did you install .net framework, vcredist, directx etc. ?

Oct 4, 2019
does your pc only crash while gaming? what cpu cooler did you get? also if your casing doesn't have good ventilation then changing cpu cooler might not be a good option. your pc parts are good so it's not a problem with them. I guess you should try reinstalling everything from scratch. another thing, did you install .net framework, vcredist, directx etc. ?
yea so every time im playing game it will literally just shut off and come back up again and yea i re seated everything in the pc. I got the h100i corsair cooler and also bouthg a 750 w corsair psu. and what software is that? sorry lol

also have the corsair spec-06 case

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
no problem. i mentioned three softwares most games might need. They are
Microsoft dot net framework
Microsoft visual c++ redistributable
Directx 12
you can download them by searching them on google. also what games are you playing?

Oct 4, 2019
no problem. i mentioned three softwares most games might need. They are
Microsoft dot net framework
Microsoft visual c++ redistributable
Directx 12
you can download them by searching them on google. also what games are you playing?
oh okay I just looked it up, when building a new pc do you need these softwares downloaded? and recently the games ive been playing the most lately is r6/csgo/fortnite and fallout new vegas

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
oh okay I just looked it up, when building a new pc do you need these softwares downloaded? and recently the games ive been playing the most lately is r6/csgo/fortnite and fallout new vegas
You mostly need those softwares for gaming. You need to download them if you play games. They are not necessary for typical word processing and stuff. In your case, yes, you need to download them and install them. Also make sure you got the right driver for your gpu, sound card etc.

Oct 4, 2019
You mostly need those softwares for gaming. You need to download them if you play games. They are not necessary for typical word processing and stuff. In your case, yes, you need to download them and install them. Also make sure you got the right driver for your gpu, sound card etc.
thank you, I appreciate it. also how would i know i have all the right drivers installed? is there a program that can automatically download them for me or tell me if theyre all good?

Oct 4, 2019
Okay so this is probably going to be my last attempt before sending my pc to a shop and getting ripped off. If anybody can please help me id really appreciate the help!

Basically about a month ago I built a pc:
Specs - intel 15 9600k
-Corsair cx750m PSU
-MSI RTX 2060 twin frozr 7 GPU
-Corsair Ram rgb 16gb
- h100 i corsair cooler
-Gigabyte z390 motherboard ud
-corsair spec 06 case

Whenever I play csgo - fortnite - r6. Basically any game my pc will turn off completely for about 3 seconds and then turn back on like nothing happened.
I checked cpu - gpu and ram temps everything is good. when gaming cpu will reach about 55c and gpu temp will reach up to 70c ram reaches about 50c.
I ran a memtest for ram and results came back good.
Ran a benchmark and pc did not crash during multiple times of running benchmark which is super strange so I dont think its temps or psu?
I replaced a 600 evga psu for the corsair i mentioned above.
I replaced cooler master rgb 212 with the corsair hi100 just to be sure it wasnt the cpu getting hot.
Drivers are all updated / no overclocking/ downloaded MSI afterburner and ICUE to try to turn up fans a little/ also reset BIOS to default but no go.
Point here is I dont know what to trouble shoot anymore. Could it be hardware or software issue? Please im going growing white hairs lol

Thank you for your time,

Sep 10, 2019
Hey Alex so I recently replaced my psu and my cpu cooler for good measures and just now my pc crashed and restarted again, I give up lol too much money being spent on this piece of crap. thank you tho and good luck!
I bought a new PSU today and it the problem doesn't show up anymore. I played one of the games that kept
Okay so this is probably going to be my last attempt before sending my pc to a shop and getting ripped off. If anybody can please help me id really appreciate the help!

Basically about a month ago I built a pc:
Specs - intel 15 9600k
-Corsair cx750m PSU
-MSI RTX 2060 twin frozr 7 GPU
-Corsair Ram rgb 16gb
- h100 i corsair cooler
-Gigabyte z390 motherboard ud
-corsair spec 06 case

Whenever I play csgo - fortnite - r6. Basically any game my pc will turn off completely for about 3 seconds and then turn back on like nothing happened.
I checked cpu - gpu and ram temps everything is good. when gaming cpu will reach about 55c and gpu temp will reach up to 70c ram reaches about 50c.
I ran a memtest for ram and results came back good.
Ran a benchmark and pc did not crash during multiple times of running benchmark which is super strange so I dont think its temps or psu?
I replaced a 600 evga psu for the corsair i mentioned above.
I replaced cooler master rgb 212 with the corsair hi100 just to be sure it wasnt the cpu getting hot.
Drivers are all updated / no overclocking/ downloaded MSI afterburner and ICUE to try to turn up fans a little/ also reset BIOS to default but no go.
Point here is I dont know what to trouble shoot anymore. Could it be hardware or software issue? Please im going growing white hairs lol

Thank you for your time,
As I said I had the exactly the same problem as you. I managed to replace my old PSU with and 700w bronze EVGA and the problem fixed so far. I played a game that used to make my PC reboot after 15-30 minutes however I managed to play the same game this time for around one hour until I got bored and no reboot took place whatsoever. If the problem will appear again I will inform you.

Oct 4, 2019
I bought a new PSU today and it the problem doesn't show up anymore. I played one of the games that kept

As I said I had the exactly the same problem as you. I managed to replace my old PSU with and 700w bronze EVGA and the problem fixed so far. I played a game that used to make my PC reboot after 15-30 minutes however I managed to play the same game this time for around one hour until I got bored and no reboot took place whatsoever. If the problem will appear again I will inform you.
Hey so I noticed that when my pc reboots one of my RAM sticks turns off, i took that RAM stick off and so far from good days and hours of gameplay my pc has not been shutting down at all.

Sep 10, 2019
UGHH, so the ram was the problem lol. Have you did any ram benchmark before and how did u realized that one of the sticks turn off,maybe I might have the same problem even though my PC its working now. :p