Question PC keeps shutting down ?

Apr 19, 2024
Hello everyone, first post on this forum so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for this.
My PC keeps crashing and rebooting when I initialize intensive tasks such as games.
It does not happen every single time, just on occasions.

I have tracked the temprature both using software and by running my PC with no panels on and feeling it for myself, and have never seen the temprature spike above 70c.
Idle running temprature is around 45c.

I suspected my power supply might not provide enough power, but the estimated consumption of my system is around 600W and my power supply is a 850W with platinum rating.

I am running the following specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
OS Drive - Samsung SD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Secondary Drive - SanDisk SDSSDA120G
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15
RAM - 2x16GB DDR5 Kingston Technology Fury Beast 5600MT/s
PSU - EVGA Supernova 850 P5
Case - Corsair 5000D Airflow
BIOS - American Megatrends Inc. version 1413
Motherboard - ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi 6E

The system is around 6 months old.

My operating system runs off the 970 EVO, and I have 3 noctua fans and my with ARCTIC MX-4 thermal paste, and the OS I'm running is Windows 11 Enterprise 64-bit.
Drivers and OS all seem to be up to date.
I am looking for more angles on how to track down my issue, or if anyone happens to have good guesses they would be very much appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance to anyone who bothered reading this post and taking the time to think of ways to help me with my issue.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024
Hey there,

Which exact PSU? How old is it? What is your current bios? (You can get this info from CPU-z)

Also what ram, case for the system, and CPU cooler too.
First of all, thank you very much for your time!
Second, I have added all of the information you asked for to the post but will add it here as well for your convenience:

First of all, thank you very much for your time!
Second, I have added all of the information you asked for to the post but will add it here as well for your convenience:
Sorry buddy, which mobo?

Run memtest86+ on the ram, outside of Windows. Lets start by ruling out what we can.

PSU is a good done, but it potentially could be on the way out. We'll try figure that as we go.

Reactions: hekzu
Apr 19, 2024
Sorry buddy, which mobo?

Run memtest86+ on the ram, outside of Windows. Lets start by ruling out what we can.

PSU is a good done, but it potentially could be on the way out. We'll try figure that as we go.
Added it to the post too:

Added it to the post too:
Okay, your bios is way outdated. This could be the cause. You can get the latest bios here: https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...sk_bios?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-X670E-PLUS-WIFI

Make sure to follow the instructions, and rename the bios file as in the link suggests. When you update the bios you then need to clear CMOS, and set the bios to default. The bios update will bring some memory compatibility, security and performance enhancements.

Reactions: DaleH and hekzu
Apr 19, 2024
Okay, your bios is way outdated. This could be the cause. You can get the latest bios here: https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...sk_bios?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-X670E-PLUS-WIFI

Make sure to follow the instructions, and rename the bios file as in the link suggests. When you update the bios you then need to clear CMOS, and set the bios to default. The bios update will bring some memory compatibility, security and performance enhancements.
Thank you very much, I had no idea the BIOS was this outdated! I will be flashing the new version you linked later today (unfortunately have to head out very soon), and will also be running memtest86.
If you could be so kind as to leave me with a few tips or a link to a guide on flashing a new BIOS version that would be very much appreciated as I have never done it before.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Apr 19, 2024
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=T9AEQ9uWDZ4

Something like this ^ will help. There should also be a section in the motherboard manual.
Hi, sorry for the incredibly late response first of all it was a crazy month for me with little to no gaming time so I didn't use this machine in forever. I'm now back though, performed the BIOS update and the issue still seems to persist. I know you might not be interested / active any more, but I'm desperate so if you're still around for this I'd love to hear more possible ideas / solutions

Edit: I'd of course also appreciate anyone else's input on this

No worries mate.

So, did you clear CMOS after the bios update? This is essential. If done properly, you would be presented with a different screen compared to an ordinary boot. It would say something like "Bios has been reset, enter bios to configure" or something to that effect.

Also, how old is the PSU?

Apr 19, 2024
No worries mate.

So, did you clear CMOS after the bios update? This is essential. If done properly, you would be presented with a different screen compared to an ordinary boot. It would say something like "Bios has been reset, enter bios to configure" or something to that effect.

Also, how old is the PSU?
Every single part in the PC was ordered at the same time, none of them should be refurbrished unless the listing on Amazon was wrong. I don't believe I cleared the CMOS, but that was about 2 weeks ago so I don't rightly remember. However, today in my desparation I started trying uninstalling programs that felt suspicious to me - first one was a piece of Logitech software that managed my mouse's DPI in-game. My brain flagged it as suspicious since the timing of the DPI change (when the PC doesn't crash) seemed to be at the same timing as the crash when it does crash.
I've only done it today, so I'm still not confident this is the right solution (since the issue is intermittent), but I'd like to know if you think there's a possibility for this to actually be the root cause of the issue?
I'd also like to mention this software is not part of the drivers for the device, it was additional software installed manually by me to change specific settings such as DPI and RGB values

Every single part in the PC was ordered at the same time, none of them should be refurbrished unless the listing on Amazon was wrong. I don't believe I cleared the CMOS, but that was about 2 weeks ago so I don't rightly remember. However, today in my desparation I started trying uninstalling programs that felt suspicious to me - first one was a piece of Logitech software that managed my mouse's DPI in-game. My brain flagged it as suspicious since the timing of the DPI change (when the PC doesn't crash) seemed to be at the same timing as the crash when it does crash.
I've only done it today, so I'm still not confident this is the right solution (since the issue is intermittent), but I'd like to know if you think there's a possibility for this to actually be the root cause of the issue?
I'd also like to mention this software is not part of the drivers for the device, it was additional software installed manually by me to change specific settings such as DPI and RGB values
Yes, absolutely it could be caused by errant Mouse Software. Although these apps are made to help us, they can introduce instability among other issues. If you've uninstalled it, and it's working okay, well it would seem that the issue is solved. Let us know how that goes.

If the issue still persists, then try the clear CMOS option. This, specially after a bios update can lead to all sorts of problems.

Apr 19, 2024
Yes, absolutely it could be caused by errant Mouse Software. Although these apps are made to help us, they can introduce instability among other issues. If you've uninstalled it, and it's working okay, well it would seem that the issue is solved. Let us know how that goes.

If the issue still persists, then try the clear CMOS option. This, specially after a bios update can lead to all sorts of problems.
As a software developer it seems inconceivable to me a software is out there for months causing complete PC crashes, but maybe I just don't understand the intricate complexities of developing hardware-facing code. I will report back in about a week, I believe if I don't experience any crashes until then I'll feel fairly certain that was the cause as I experience multiple crashes a day.
Again, thank you very much for all your attention, help and ideas!

Apr 19, 2024

I just happened to crash again. Nothing in the event viewer seems relevant. It's also important to mention this time it happened the middle of usage, not while attempting to launch any new application. It was also while playing one of my least intensive games, which has never caused a crash as far as I remember. I was spamming my alt key for some in-game activity, other than that nothing out of ordinary use was happening at the time. I will attempt to clear CMOS later this week, but this was out of the normal pattern so I figured an update was needed.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I just happened to crash again. Nothing in the event viewer seems relevant. It's also important to mention this time it happened the middle of usage, not while attempting to launch any new application. It was also while playing one of my least intensive games, which has never caused a crash as far as I remember. I was spamming my alt key for some in-game activity, other than that nothing out of ordinary use was happening at the time. I will attempt to clear CMOS later this week, but this was out of the normal pattern so I figured an update was needed.
The problem could still be the PSU. Even though it's relatively new, it could still fail. I believe the PSU is the most common item to fail.

Apr 19, 2024
The problem could still be the PSU. Even though it's relatively new, it could still fail. I believe the PSU is the most common item to fail.
Thank you for your input. I will first attempt the CMOS clearing solution offered by Roland, but how would you go about diagnosing a PSU issue? Do you think using benchmarking software would be sufficient, or you have a more sophisticated way to test this? As I said I don't really have any components I can swap into the PC unfortunately

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Thank you for your input. I will first attempt the CMOS clearing solution offered by Roland, but how would you go about diagnosing a PSU issue? Do you think using benchmarking software would be sufficient, or you have a more sophisticated way to test this? As I said I don't really have any components I can swap into the PC unfortunately
Replacing the PSU would be the only true way to tell if it's bad. One could use a voltmeter to verify the voltages, but the manner of failure might not show up with this test alone. Try to borrow a PSU. Might be worth buying one that you can use as a backup spare. I believe it's the most frequent component to fail.