[SOLVED] PC lagging when switching applications

Mar 1, 2020
A few days ago, I discovered that whenever I open a new application or switch from one application to another, my PC freezes for a second over and over for about thirty seconds. My PC ran smoothly up until a couple of days ago when I noticed this problem, but I can't remember changing anything. I have tried tweaking different settings and updating BIOS, but nothing has worked so far.

I have a video to show what it actually looks like on my PC:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fydsxZ1H9mk

my system specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: MSI B350M BAZOOKA
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo
RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM
GPU: MSI Radeon RX580
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
PSU: Rosewill Glacier 700W
Monitor: Acer ED323QUR 1440p 144hz

If anyone has suggestions, ideas, etc. let me know. All recommendations are appreciated :)

Solution
It sounds like something is running in the background and hogging resources. Open Task Manager and check CPU & Memory usage. My guess is one of them is spiking to 100% when this happens. Also check the Startup tab to see what programs are automatically loading up at boot.
It sounds like something is running in the background and hogging resources. Open Task Manager and check CPU & Memory usage. My guess is one of them is spiking to 100% when this happens. Also check the Startup tab to see what programs are automatically loading up at boot.

Reactions: Th0r33
Solution
Mar 1, 2020
Tried this, but CPU was below 50% the entire time. Same with memory. I disabled virtualization in BIOS and this seemed to help, but the problem is still occuring.

May 25, 2021
I had a very similar problem that started immediately after I spilled some water on my mouse. I could move the cursor and click fine within an application, but if I tried to click over to another application it would seem like the computer froze for a few seconds (2-5 I would say), and then I could use that application normally. This happened every time I switched applications until I replaced the mouse. I've no idea how hardware damage to the mouse could cause this problem.

Nov 21, 2021
I have to say that switching between applications has been slow in windows 10 compared to earlier versions of Windows. The more applications installed in the system, the slower it becomes. The more applications opened in the background, the slower it becomes too. I have a Microsoft Surface Book Pro 2, 16 GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U, and switching between applications took about 2 - 3 seconds even when only 4 active applications are open in the background. Dragon dictation, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Word. I think Microsoft is trying to load the history (application history) during App Switching, which takes time to load and thus making App Switching VERY SLOW compared to earlier version of Windows. I hope there is a way to change that.