[SOLVED] PC Not Booting Correctly

Abaddon2001

Prominent
Feb 7, 2020
So I've recently built a new PC in which I have used an old SSD from my previous build. I haven't installed a fresh version of windows 10 but just used what is already on the SSD. whenever I turn on my PC it always gets past the motherboard splash screen and on some occasions to the windows 10 login screen, at which point the time and background will display but I wont be able to interact any further other than moving my mouse around. I cant even Ctrl+Alt+Del or use the shut down/restart/sleep option. occasionally instead I'll get a blue screen saying my PC didn't boot correctly. I have tried using windows automatic repair and it tells me it couldn't fix the issue. I have tried booting in safe mode but when I type in my password the loading circle appears below and then my PC proceeds to do nothing. Another time upon starting the PC had a blue screen with a loading symbol and then proceeded to do nothing. One time near the beginning my PC managed to boot up properly but it refuses to do it anymore. I stupidly didn't back up important files I need when I had the chance and I don't want to lose them if possible by having to reinstall windows. Any ideas?

Solution
Do you have another drive? Is it large enough (does it have enough free space) to hold the contents of the SSD? If so, there are plenty of solutions. You can boot from windows install media and copy the contents of the SSD to the other drive (HDD?), then (disconnect the secondary drive and) install windows on the SSD.

If you don't have a second drive, but have enough space on the SSD for a Windows installation: you can partition the SSD, install windows on the new partition, and then that partition can sort of... resorb the contents of the other one.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Do you have another drive? Is it large enough (does it have enough free space) to hold the contents of the SSD? If so, there are plenty of solutions. You can boot from windows install media and copy the contents of the SSD to the other drive (HDD?), then (disconnect the secondary drive and) install windows on the SSD.

If you don't have a second drive, but have enough space on the SSD for a Windows installation: you can partition the SSD, install windows on the new partition, and then that partition can sort of... resorb the contents of the other one.

Solution

Abaddon2001

Prominent
Feb 7, 2020
Hi so, I tried turning it on after leaving it overnight and somehow it booted. Took the important files off and did a fresh install of windows. Its working like a dream now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi so, I tried turning it on after leaving it overnight and somehow it booted. Took the important files off and did a fresh install of windows. Its working like a dream now. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm happy you got it fixed!

Remember that when you change your CPU (Not the board), add a drive, add ram, change psu, you do not need to reinstall Windows but when you install a new motherboard a clean install of the OS is always recommended.