Jul 3, 2020
Hello all

a while ago i was playing a game on my pc and i had to leave for 30 minutes, and when i came back i had no screen showing anymore. I tried restarting but it got stuck at the msi startup logo. And the weird thing is that sometimes it gets to this logo and sometimes i dont get any signal. Sometimes on the motherboard the cpu light lights up but sometimes the dram or vga or the boot light and sometimes no lights turn on. So i find this really weird. I already tried the following.

clearing cmos
ram switching
updated bios to newest version
tried to boot off a fresh windows stick
swithced cables from hdd and ssd ( when i did this it wouldnt give signal at all and when i switched them back i got as far as the msi logo on startup.

i really dont know what causes this problem, i hope someone could help me.

my pc specs are:
amd ryzen 2600x
msi b450 pro carbon ac
msi geforce gtx 1060
corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ram
126gb kingston ssd
1tb western digital blue hdd
corsair rm550x

also this pc is 1 year old, never had issues before

Ralston18

Titan
How full is theat 126 GB Kingston SSD?

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age (1 year?), condition? Heavy gaming use?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Doublecheck that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Jul 3, 2020
How full is theat 126 GB Kingston SSD?

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age (1 year?), condition? Heavy gaming use?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Doublecheck that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

if i remember correctly the ssd was almost or completely full,

psu is an corsair rm550x, i personally don’t think the psu is the problem as everything lights up (rgb from graphics card, motherboard,fans,...) and since it is only 1 year old the condition must be good, i used it for gaming and 3d drawing (solidworks) but nothing really intensive for an extended period of time

Ralston18

Titan
How full is "completely full"?

Personally I prefer to keep at least 20%-30% of any given drive empty.

Back up all important data and verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Before doing anything look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events about the drive.

Run Window's Disk clean to regain some storage space on the 126 GB SSD.

Let Disk Clean determine how much space can be recovered especially if older Windows updates are cleaned out.

Take a look and post accordingly.

If there is little space to be gained then a larger 256 GB drive may be necessary.

Jul 3, 2020
How full is "completely full"?

Personally I prefer to keep at least 20%-30% of any given drive empty.

Back up all important data and verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Before doing anything look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events about the drive.

Run Window's Disk clean to regain some storage space on the 126 GB SSD.

Let Disk Clean determine how much space can be recovered especially if older Windows updates are cleaned out.

Take a look and post accordingly.

If there is little space to be gained then a larger 256 GB drive may be necessary.

well i don’t know exactly how full it is, i can just remember it was around completely full, but since i cant get to windows i can’t clean it up. I maybe wanted to buy an bigger ssd and put windows on it to see if that boots, do you think that would work? Thanks in advance

Ralston18

Titan
No integrated graphics - correct?

Well worth a try to get a larger SSD and try a clean install of Windows. Even if the problem is not the current SSD per se you are still going to need a larger capacity SSD.

If a clean install does not work then the PSU may indeed be the issue. Only one voltage rail needs to have a problem of some sort to prevent boot up.

Again, check all connections and seatings. If at all possible obtain another PSU to install just for testing and as a matter of elimination.

And if you have a multimeter and know how to use it or know someone who does you can do some additional testing on the Corsair PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Jul 3, 2020

Well worth a try to get a larger SSD and try a clean install of Windows. Even if the problem is not the current SSD per se you are still going to need a larger capacity SSD.

If a clean install does not work then the PSU may indeed be the issue. Only one voltage rail needs to have a problem of some sort to prevent boot up.

Again, check all connections and seatings. If at all possible obtain another PSU to install just for testing and as a matter of elimination.

And if you have a multimeter and know how to use it or know someone who does you can do some additional testing on the Corsair PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

sadly my amd processor doesn't have integraded graphics, so i can't test my gpu, and yes i will order an bigger ssd and swap it with the other ssd and try to put windows on that one. And if that doesn't work i will try to source or check my psu. I will update you once i have a new ssd. Thanks alot for the help :)

Jul 3, 2020

update: ssd installed with a fresh new stick with windows on it, it goes past the bios but as soon as the blue windows logo pops up the cpu light on the motherboard goes on. Eventough the "self check" completes when i power it on. Do you think the cpu can be the issue?

Jul 3, 2020
Did you do clean Windows install? If not, how did you install Windows?

Motherboard manual: check the meaning of the cpu light going on and what it may mean.

Especially if there is some color coding or blinking involved.

I had a friend of mine put it on an empty stick, we putted it in one of the motherboard usb ports. And then i started it up and went into the bios and set the stick as first boot option and with only the new ssd installed. And every time i tried tl run it. We saw a windows logo for a second but then instantly the cpu light would cole on and not go off, the hdmi signal would go away too. So i took the cooler of and the cpu and i am going to send it back to check if that is maybe the problem.

Jul 3, 2020