Question PC not getting IP address.

Feb 22, 2019
Firstly, sorry for bad formatting, I'm on my phone.

Router - TPLink Archer C60
Modem - Technicolor tg58 vac v2
Motherboard - H97 PC Mate (MS-7850)
Power Supply - Alpine JSP-500P12P
Adapter - Realtek 8812BU Wirless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC
OS - Windows 10 - version 10.0.17763
ISP - SSE
1 device conmected
No real error message besides saying "no internet, secured" next to the link.

I'm not sure what extra specs I can provide, but if so let me know. I'd like to give extra information about the issue to further help.

So, last night everything was working fine. Me and my housemate were able to use the internet no problem. This morning I try and it says "no internet" on my commection. I figure it's just down (it does go on rare occasions, but it's otherwise fine.) A few hours later it is still down, so I try connecting via my phone and the wi-fi works. I then try my friends PC as he is currently out, his works too. In try my Xbox and that does not, however. So my PC and Xbox don't work.

Anyway, it turns out my connection won't retrieve an IP. I obviously google ways to fix this and NOTHING works. I've tried so many solutions the past several hours and I cannot fix this issue. Only my PC is connected to the wi-fi at this point as I've turned the other devices off. I would really appreciate some help here.

Just to add, is it possible my friend has changed something in his router to stop me connecting? It's not something I think he'd do, but I want to rule out all possibilities.

Things I've tried include stopping/restarting DHCP, (met with access denied), tried fixing that with reg edits and giving permissions elsewhere. Tried running commamds from an elevated command prompt. Tried releasing/renewing IP. The last prompt from renew always shows a time out from dhcp servers. I also tried resetting windows with no success.

Please, please help. I have to set off to work in 10 minutes so I'll try reply to responses ASAP. Thank you in advance.

Andrew.

Feb 17, 2019
Have u tried the network diagnosis from the network trouble shooting on left corner down side where it shows " not connected " . Restart the router too, and also make sure the wifi is available on it, or acceceble

Yes, your "friend" or whoever has the router administrative credential could block any device from accessing the Internet.
With the TP-LINK’s app on a smartphone, it just takes a tap to block a device access to the Internet and manage other router functions.
You could connected your computer with a Ethernet cable to the router and see if it works.

You could reboot modem and router but you won't be able to do much without administrative credentials.

Feb 22, 2019
Have u tried the network diagnosis from the network trouble shooting on left corner down side where it shows " not connected " . Restart the router too, and also make sure the wifi is available on it, or acceceble

Hi, yes I've tried a troubleshoot and it told me about not having an IP. I also reset the router several times. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Feb 22, 2019
Yes, your "friend" or whoever has the router administrative credential could block any device from accessing the Internet.
With the TP-LINK’s app on a smartphone, it just takes a tap to block a device access to the Internet and manage other router functions.
You could connected your computer with a Ethernet cable to the router and see if it works.

You could reboot modem and router but you won't be able to do much without administrative credentials.

Okay, I assumed it was a possibility. If that's what is happening though, is this how it would present itself? Would it not say it's blocked? This friend is genuinely a friend though, I don't see why he'd do it. I messaged him whilst trying to fix it and he not long gave me his login info to see if any settings are stopping me. Sadly I have to go to work so can't check them.

Feb 17, 2019
Well u can try plugging the ethernet cable instead if wifi isn't well responding , if the pc has cable ,u can once try , maybe it fix. But about I p adress u said, actually the Network diagnosis would do but if not done then once see the router, maybe it has some protection or admin protection or router VPN ( maybe even in built )