[SOLVED] PC not posting after sudden power cut

Jul 27, 2021
My PC 'died' after a power cut in my home, when I was still doing some rendering job with a heavy load on the GPU and the CPU. There seems to be smell coming from the motherboard although I'm not not sure if the power supply is also toast. I'd just like to ask the possible damage a sudden power cut can have on a motherboard and what I could potentially do to recover my pc.

specs: i5-10400
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 CL16 2666MHz
NVidia GTX-1660
Corsair CX550M

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

Video (here's a video showing what the motherboard is doing when I turn on the PSU, and no it won't turn on when I trigger the MB power switch.)

Solution
My PC 'died' after a power cut in my home, when I was still doing some rendering job with a heavy load on the GPU and the CPU. There seems to be smell coming from the motherboard although I'm not not sure if the power supply is also toast. I'd just like to ask the possible damage a sudden power cut can have on a motherboard and what I could potentially do to recover my pc.

Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
NVidia GTX-1660
Corsair CX550M

Video (here's a video showing what the motherboard is doing when I turn on the PSU, and no it won't turn on when I trigger the MB power switch.)
A PC dying by a sudden power cut is...
Jul 27, 2021
No, unfortunately. But I'm thinking of getting a new PSU, however I do wanna confirm that the PSU is definitely toast. What is the most commen thing that breaks when you have a power cut? I've heard some people say MOBOs and dGPUs but others saying PSUs.

No, unfortunately. But I'm thinking of getting a new PSU, however I do wanna confirm that the PSU is definitely toast. What is the most commen thing that breaks when you have a power cut? I've heard some people say MOBOs and dGPUs but others saying PSUs.
Your PSU is an A brand psu, this means that it should protect all your components from sudden power spikes
So chances are slim that any other components are borked

what it basically does is take the fall for your pc

in your case your psu is almost suredly borked, as @ivt suggested, source a psu from somewhere and test you system

you can test a PSU with this method, but it can give you a false positive, as it only puts a tiny load on your PSU

nothing like a gpu or cpu would do, hence the false positive

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

Jul 27, 2021
Your PSU is an A brand psu, this means that it should protect all your components from sudden power spikes
So chances are slim that any other components are borked

what it basically does is take the fall for your pc

in your case your psu is almost suredly borked, as @ivt suggested, source a psu from somewhere and test you system

you can test a PSU with this method, but it can give you a false positive, as it only puts a tiny load on your PSU

nothing like a gpu or cpu would do, hence the false positive

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y
Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. I tested the PSU with another computer and it seems to work fine. So I'm guessing the problem is with the motherboard afterall, as I did smell something from the motherboard but not the PSU.

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. I tested the PSU with another computer and it seems to work fine. So I'm guessing the problem is with the motherboard afterall, as I did smell something from the motherboard but not the PSU.
Strange, but unfortunate, your psu should have shielded your mobo

As you have already breadboarded your system (in the video you made)
i'm out of suggestions, it looks like it's the mobo allright

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020

Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
NVidia GTX-1660
Corsair CX550M

A PC dying by a sudden power cut is not normal. In my old home the power used to cut everyday randomly so I never cared about my PC having problems because of it. The only thing that would happen is the data being corrupted and system running file checking by itself.

You should get a UPS so that this does not happen again.

Solution