Question PC performance decrease after reset Windows 10

Dec 21, 2020
Hey there,

I have reset Windows 10 on my computer one week ago to clean-up my pc and just start over from a clean install, but since then had a problem with the performance of the cpu.

My CPU: 9700k (running at 4.6 GHz after "Load Optimized Defaults" by ASUS Z390-E motherboard, stock was 3.6 GHz)
My GPU: MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio (stock, no oc)
My PSU: Corsair RM750X 80 plus gold

Rest of bios settings are Load Optimized Defaults, except for XMP I profile.

When starting up Rocket League for example, for some reason my cpu starts to downclock to 0.8 GHz after 20 seconds or so, and the wattage of the cpu drops down to +/- 5 watts, even tho the PL1 (tdp = 95 w) and PL2 (tdp = 95 x 1.25 = 118.75 w) limits are stock. This is happening with some other games too, and I really do not understand why. It states that there is "Power Limit Throttling", which I did not have before the reset of Windows 10 while playing Rocket League. I have a 750 w power supply and it should be more then enough for my system. When closing down Rocket League, after a few seconds the clocks go back to normal.

Some other games are not dropping down the clocks entirely and are not showing "Power Limit Throttling" but are also performing worse then before, for example Euro Truck Simulator 2 before the reset easily got 180 fps and is now hardly getting 80 fps. Same goes for GTA V online, beforehand easily 100 fps, now struggling with 70-85 fps.

Also whenever I start-up a game my MSI Afterburner crashes and starts-up with the gpu fan speed stuck at 15% instead of the 90% I have set-up in Afterburner. When I close my game Afterburner crashes again, starts-up again and is back on the preset I have set-up, very weird .

I'm including a screen capture of what is happening when I start-up and close Rocket League with rivatuner statistic server and other pc monitor software enabled to make things easier.

The screen capture:

What should I do to fix these problems? I hope you can help me.

Kind regards,

~ Nick