Question PC POSTs properly but no video output

Dec 10, 2020
Hey guys and gals!
I have a problem that I'm hoping someone here can help me solve. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.

Last night while trying to install the latest ATI drivers through the ATI control panel, the computer restarted itself and threw an error during reboot: "Bootmgr is missing. Reboot with CTRL+ALT+DEL." I remember that I was messing around with HDD partitions earlier in the day and I may have messed something up. No biggie, I'll just do a recovery from my backup image and try again. After rebooting into the recovery USB drive, I accidentally unplugged the HDMI cable from the GPU. When I plugged it back in, there was no signal to the monitor. I hadn't yet started the recovery process, so I restarted the computer again but there was still no video signal. Things I've tried so far:

-Plugged the HDMI into another computer, it works fine there.
-Powered off, unplugged power, cycled the power button, plugged in power, and powered on.
-Cleared CMOS with the jumper pins and coin battery.
-re-seated the GPU in a different PCI lane.
-Tried a different, working GPU in both PCI lanes.
-Unplugged and replugged EVERYTHING, all cables and components.

The one thing I've noticed after these tests is that the PC actually POSTs properly, and I can boot into BIOS if I tap DEL (verified by a single short beep.) It will also beep error codes if I remove the GPU or RAM and try to boot. There is simply no video output. The mobo doesn't have any built-in video port, so GPU is the only option. PC specs are as follows:

MOBO: Asrock 990FX Extreme 3
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7-260X
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16Gb (2x8Gb)
PSU: Raidmax RS-530SS 530W

Any ideas?

Dec 10, 2020
so upon loading windows there is no screen but you could go to bios?

No, there is no video at all. From the moment the PC is powered on, there is no signal to the monitor. I only suspect the BIOS is working because I can hear the familiar beep when I push DEL immediately after powering on. If I don't do anything after power on, there is no beep. All fans and lights come to life and I can hear the HDD spin up while the HDD light flashes, and the optical drive does a check as well and responds to the open/close button being pressed.

TRENDING THREADS